Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

Fender apron a good enough ground?

So I need a good ground for my engine since Im mounting my battery in the trunk. Could I just use a bolt and an existing hole near where the battery was for my enine ground? Also, since Im grounding the block do I have to ground my 3g alternator?

So I need a good ground for my engine since Im mounting my battery in the trunk. Could I just use a bolt and an existing hole near where the battery was for my enine ground? Also, since Im grounding the block do I have to ground my 3g alternator?

IMO, you need to run the battery ground cable to a point on the block close to the starter. If you ground to the body, there can be a lot of resistance by the time the current gets back to the battery. Ground the battery to the block, and run a ground strap from the block to the firewall or shock tower. The alternator should not need a seperate ground.

Is the 3g alternator a later model Ford unit?

Tim

IMO, you need to run the battery ground cable to a point on the block close to the starter. If you ground to the body, there can be a lot of resistance by the time the current gets back to the battery. Ground the battery to the block, and run a ground strap from the block to the firewall or shock tower. The alternator should not need a seperate ground.

Is the 3g alternator a later model Ford unit?

Tim

I have my batt. ground to my block and block ground to my fender apron right under the battery and have had no problems with it. I would like to route it somewhere though where it looks alittle cleaner maybe the frame?

I have my batt. ground to my block and block ground to my fender apron right under the battery and have had no problems with it. I would like to route it somewhere though where it looks alittle cleaner maybe the frame?

So your telling me I need to run a ground all the way from my trunk to my block! I thought I had to ground the battery in the trunk somewhere and then make sure I ground the block? Is this not gonna be good enough and cause problems? And do I need to ground a 3g or not?

So your telling me I need to run a ground all the way from my trunk to my block! I thought I had to ground the battery in the trunk somewhere and then make sure I ground the block? Is this not gonna be good enough and cause problems? And do I need to ground a 3g or not?

A good clean ground to the frame rail at the back should be sufficient. Not to the sheetmetal. Likewise, at the front, ground the engine to the frame. Make sure you clean to bare metal where you make the ground. Then spray the connection with battery protectant to keep it from getting rusty.

A good clean ground to the frame rail at the back should be sufficient. Not to the sheetmetal. Likewise, at the front, ground the engine to the frame. Make sure you clean to bare metal where you make the ground. Then spray the connection with battery protectant to keep it from getting rusty.

Find a convenient place, drill a hole and run a self-tapping screw sized for the cable into the hole. The thicker gauge metal of the frame rails offers less resistance thus a better connection with the cables. The shock towers are of substantial thickness also so making a connection using one of the 6 bolts for the outer shock tower panel would work also. Just make sure the cable makes a good bare metal to bare metal (clean) contact.

Find a convenient place, drill a hole and run a self-tapping screw sized for the cable into the hole. The thicker gauge metal of the frame rails offers less resistance thus a better connection with the cables. The shock towers are of substantial thickness also so making a connection using one of the 6 bolts for the outer shock tower panel would work also. Just make sure the cable makes a good bare metal to bare metal (clean) contact.

For the battery connection, I did just as RacerX suggested, a self tapping screw into the rear frame rail. For the front I have a braided strap going from the engine block at the same bolt where the alternator ground attaches to the bottom side of the anti-sway bar mount. Just clean any paint off the metal to make sure the strap gets a good bond to the frame.

For the battery connection, I did just as RacerX suggested, a self tapping screw into the rear frame rail. For the front I have a braided strap going from the engine block at the same bolt where the alternator ground attaches to the bottom side of the anti-sway bar mount. Just clean any paint off the metal to make sure the strap gets a good bond to the frame.