Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

Painting a couple parts on my mach

I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

why would use spray a lacquer if you're going with a smooth finish?

I think this product does produce a smooth, matte-like finish. At least thats how TCP describes it. I understand there are some "dry spray" techniques that can be used to acheive something closer to the original textured finish but I dont believe thats what the OP was after.

Edited by miketyler

I think this product does produce a smooth, matte-like finish. At least thats how TCP describes it. I understand there are some "dry spray" techniques that can be used to acheive something closer to the original textured finish but I dont believe thats what the OP was after.

Edited by miketyler

I think this product does produce a smooth, matte-like finish. At least thats how TCP describes it. I understand there are some "dry spray" techniquyes that can be used to acheive something closer to the original textured finish but I dont believe thats what the OP was after.

ok. just seemed like an odd choice given lacquer is pretty old technology and the availability of non-textured blacks.

seems like some of the concours cars are using that for various parts.

on a side note, i don't recall mach 1's getting the tail light panel blacked out.

I think this product does produce a smooth, matte-like finish. At least thats how TCP describes it. I understand there are some "dry spray" techniquyes that can be used to acheive something closer to the original textured finish but I dont believe thats what the OP was after.

ok. just seemed like an odd choice given lacquer is pretty old technology and the availability of non-textured blacks.

seems like some of the concours cars are using that for various parts.

on a side note, i don't recall mach 1's getting the tail light panel blacked out.

I thought you were going body color on them? I did some research on this as I have some black stripes I need to add to my Mach 1 project once completed. I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PPG-DDL9423-LOW-GLOSS-Black-Accent-PAINT-Hood-Scoop-Car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0685d63QQitemZ390311992675QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

PPGDDL9423-QT.jpg

Since the OP was talking about getting "spray paint" at a parts store, I am not sure recommending paint that requires painting equipment will be very useful.

I thought you were going body color on them? I did some research on this as I have some black stripes I need to add to my Mach 1 project once completed. I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PPG-DDL9423-LOW-GLOSS-Black-Accent-PAINT-Hood-Scoop-Car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0685d63QQitemZ390311992675QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

PPGDDL9423-QT.jpg

Since the OP was talking about getting "spray paint" at a parts store, I am not sure recommending paint that requires painting equipment will be very useful.

Yes, missed that. English Color or some other pro paint supply outlets can custom mix and put in an aerosol can for a rattle can application. However, since we are talking about basic black, just some good quality flat or satin finish black should do it. I have got good results with the Rustoleum satin black from Home Depot.

Edited by miketyler

Yes, missed that. English Color or some other pro paint supply outlets can custom mix and put in an aerosol can for a rattle can application. However, since we are talking about basic black, just some good quality flat or satin finish black should do it. I have got good results with the Rustoleum satin black from Home Depot.

Edited by miketyler

link didnt work

I guess the link won't hold the search results. Just enter "sikkens" into the search engine and you will get the same results as I did and tried to post.

link didnt work

I guess the link won't hold the search results. Just enter "sikkens" into the search engine and you will get the same results as I did and tried to post.

I used a ford acrilic (interior flat black),As used on the British Ford Capri, 25% under thinned and at 35psi to get a little texture on my Boss bonnet and boot lid, takes a light polish and no probs after 8 years so far. although it has been parked now for them 8 years since painting.

I used a ford acrilic (interior flat black),As used on the British Ford Capri, 25% under thinned and at 35psi to get a little texture on my Boss bonnet and boot lid, takes a light polish and no probs after 8 years so far. although it has been parked now for them 8 years since painting.