Sign in to follow this  
jagsfan811

I have some light questions 69 mustang.. help please

so I have a couple questions:

1. i cant get the brake lights to work the only way they work is when i turn the signal lever up (right) and press the brakes.

2. when i turn on the lights the back lights dont go on

3. how do i replace the headlights? the 3 prong pins in the back seem to be tack soldered to a plug.

4. which lights in front are supposed to blink because neither back nor front blink

5. i have a empty plug in the tailight harness that i cant figure out where it goes?

i hope someone can make some sense of these questions.

thank you all in advance

so I have a couple questions:

1. i cant get the brake lights to work the only way they work is when i turn the signal lever up (right) and press the brakes.

Sounds to me like a bad turn signal switch. This little guy is located behind your steering wheel and has many circuits coming through it including your tail lights, front/rear signals, and more. If you do replace it, be very careful how you match up the 9 or 10 wires coming out of that bad boy.

2. when i turn on the lights the back lights dont go on

Turn signal swtich, IMHO, based on the above. Though there are a number of other simpler explanations: bad ground, bad headlamp switch, bad bulbs, etc. Best to rule things out in some logical sequence using a test meter.

3. how do i replace the headlights? the 3 prong pins in the back seem to be tack soldered to a plug.

I can't imagine they are soldered, but POs have done stranger things. I'd try prying the plug off the headlight gently and if you're convinced it's permanently attached, you will need to locate your wire cutters.

4. which lights in front are supposed to blink because neither back nor front blink

Your "parking lamps" in the front are also your turn signals which are controlled by the flasher. It's possible your flasher is bad, but it's best to test all this with a meter before you start shot-gunning new parts.

5. i have a empty plug in the tailight harness that i cant figure out where it goes?

If it looks "factory", it could be for a trunk light option, the license plate marker light (this should be obvious). Best to get a meter and test for 12V with the light switch in the first, then 2nd position, with the turn signal activated, etc. A picture of the plug along the harness will also be helpful to identify it.

i hope someone can make some sense of these questions.

thank you all in advance

Seriously, you should consider getting familiar with basic wiring, the wiring diagram for our 69s, and a volt meter. These skills are indispensable when debugging electrical issues...

...or it could be a low battery as Burn suggested...be systematic and you'll find the problems!

Good luck!

Tom

Make sure your tail lights are well grounded. There is a spade connector on each bulb socket for ground that's often disconnected or missing. The lights won't light without a good ground, and the blinkers won't work if the lights aren't working. (The blinker/flasher requires the load from the bulbs to blink properly). Try a jumper from the metal taillight housing to chassis and see if it helps. If it's still bad, move on to the switches like the fella's already mentioned...

Thank you all! I do have a wiring diagram on the way and a VOM. just needed to get this fixed before registration. I have solved questions 1, 2 and 4 by means of those relays( i believe theyre called that)

now that i know the headlights are supposed to be soldered in i will have to gently try to pry off.

I appreciate the help!