Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

4-Speed Speedometer Cable Questions ...

Bought the "4-Speed Speedo Cable Retainer @ Firewall" Bracket from CJ. My car originally had an AT, so I don't know exactly where this retainer attaches to the "firewall".

Is there an existing bolt or hole that this mounts to or do I have to drill a hole ... maybe a dimple is already there for it ??

Am I correct in assuming it clamps on the crimped on metal grommet sleeve on the cable ??

Thanks,

Doug

Here's a pic of the cable & retainer bracket I just bought.

I now notice that the retainer bracket is 7/8" wide but the flattened area of the ferrule sleeve on the cable is only 3/4~13/16" wide. Cable is a Ford O.E. Service replacement from the mid-80's. Does it maybe NOT go on the cable at this sleeve ??

I also just replaced the firewall rubber grommet on the cable as mine was shot. Getting that 5/16" hole in the rubber grommet over the 1" dia. end of the cable was quite the trick though ... can't believe I did it without tearing it !!

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

One other question ... while fighting that grommet the inner cable managed to wiggle it's way out of the sleaving.

I've now had to clean the cable and want to re-lube it.

Ford Shop Manual says to use a light film of "B5AZ-19581-A Lubricant" after the cable has been wiped clean. Anyone know what type of lubricant this is similar to ... that I probably have around the garage already ??

Thanks,

Doug

White lith grease the core LIGHTLY!

As for the clamp, once installed the cable you should see where it goes.

Remember to follow the cable around the exh pipe to insure it doesnot melt it.

If it is that obvious, is there an existing hole or dimple that I need to drill ??

And am I also correct in that the clamp holds the cable at the crimped on ferrule collar ??

Thanks,

Doug

That is the wrong retainer for that sleeve location on the speedo cable. It appears to be designed for a sheet metal screw which is incorrect. The correct one is the style that has sort of a "butterfly" fastener that you insert into a hole and then squeeze together. I think it is in the NPD catalog in the speedo cable area and is an AMK part. This butterfly style clip will only work (or is only needed) on an original length cable. If yours is the shorter 66" style I don't think it will reach that lower firewall/floor pan clip location anyway.

There is also a bracket at the firewall, near the steering column, and the one you got with the cable might work there, though the original sort of loops around the cable instead of clamping it.

Edited by rockhouse66
Add Info

Not 100% sure if this is where the "firewall bracket" goes, but this is where I put it. It is mounted using the same screw that holds the brake line right before it heads down the tunnel to the rear brakes.

It keeps the cable from rubbing on the steering shaft as it used to and helps direct it over the trans, so it is functional here for me.

Doug