Sign in to follow this  
Desert_69

Headlight Switch Rebuild

Can stock headlight switches be rebuilt? The headlights come on when I pull the rod out, but in order for the parking lights to work, I have to jiggle the rod (wow that sounds bad) a bit. I'm thinking about just removing the switch, checking the contacts and reassembling it.

Anyone ever rebuilt a stock switch?

EDIT: I see that the Duralast switches are only $25, anyone had success with these or are they junk?

Edited by Desert_69

Can stock headlight switches be rebuilt? The headlights come on when I pull the rod out, but in order for the parking lights to work, I have to jiggle the rod (wow that sounds bad) a bit. I'm thinking about just removing the switch, checking the contacts and reassembling it.

Anyone ever rebuilt a stock switch?

EDIT: I see that the Duralast switches are only $25, anyone had success with these or are they junk?

Yes I have refurbished them along with wiper switches.

You have to make sure they are assembled correctly and the tabs are bent back in far enough to keep the contacts inside touching.

Most will just pay the price to replace them, But having that urge to see what makes them work and being cheap at times I figure that if its already broke I can't hurt it by trying to repair it.:yes:

Yes I have refurbished them along with wiper switches.

You have to make sure they are assembled correctly and the tabs are bent back in far enough to keep the contacts inside touching.

Most will just pay the price to replace them, But having that urge to see what makes them work and being cheap at times I figure that if its already broke I can't hurt it by trying to repair it.:yes:

I think I'll just replace it and take it apart anyways. I was reading somewhere that there's rivets to drill out or something. I'm thinking it's just corroded, car was sitting for 11 years before I bought it.

That switch is one of the best parts on my car. The original is still going strong after 44 years. The replacements are plentiful and cheap, do that.

Do you know about the button on the back of it that needs to be pressed to remove the shaft?

That switch is one of the best parts on my car. The original is still going strong after 44 years. The replacements are plentiful and cheap, do that.

Do you know about the button on the back of it that needs to be pressed to remove the shaft?

Yeah I read something about that, how the shaft needs to be extended and then the button pressed. I haven't messed with it yet, thanks.

I was at my local Mustang shop a few months ago looking for a new switch. I was concerned because most parts made for our cars are f***ing garbage. I was thilled to see they had a Motorcraft headlight switch in stock, it worked great. Stay away from Made in China f***ing garbage whenever you can.

Wait until you get to the Corvex grill/hood mouldings. Good thing I'm not in the same city they are, I'd be in jail.