Sign in to follow this  
493dart

Hello-New guy --a few questions !

Hi guys---great site !

Im working on my friends 69 stang. Its a convertible , 289 , auto. :punk:

The car was assembled by someone else about 12 years ago and has been sitting since then---kind of a mystery build as far as some of the parts, etc..

I have a few questions on identifying some factory parts if you can help ...

Long story short, I got the car running good , and recently noticed the alternator was unplugged. I plugged it in and had some wiring burn up within a minute. 1 was the light green/red stripe wire going to the ignition switch.

The rest was the wiring under the voltage reg , and the Alt. plug melted.

Here's some pictures of everything--with a question for each -

Edited by 493dart

Well, at least you know why it was unplugged to begin with. I really can't tell by the pics if indeed you have the correct alternator/regulator but they appear to be correct. The first thing you will need to do is buy a wiring diagram from your local mustang parts store and begin tracing wires to see what went wrong. Wiring issues can be a real pain but with some time and tracing you can figure it out. I would also have the alternator checked and possibly replace the regulator as well.

It's most likely you will have to replace the headlight harness from the firewall all the way over to the battery/regulator area. You may have to replace the alternator harness to the regulator as well. Good luck, Bruce

ok, thanks. im going to get the alt tested and new reg.

does the harness run from the firewall down the drivers side? im not outside to look right now....

i might pull it and unwrap- inspect it and re-wrap

I do have a wiring diagram for this car

ok, thanks. im going to get the alt tested and new reg.

does the harness run from the firewall down the drivers side? im not outside to look right now....

i might pull it and unwrap- inspect it and re-wrap

I do have a wiring diagram for this car

I can tell you that from my experience it looks like you have a voltage regulator from a 67 mustang.

Your alternator looks to be correct.

It is a 3-wire yes?

ok-thanks -

Yes--its a 3 wire Alt. Im taking it off today to get tested . also getting a new REG.

Like I said , the NEW Reg im buying today is half the size of the one in the pic.

ill post a pic of it later

Oh - and what is the round female plug for ? -- see picture

there are 2 small round plugs -one is for the condenser , the larger is for ?

anyway, hers a pic of the Alt. Its a Ultima 01-0155 . I just had it tested --tests ok .

so that green wire that burned at the Ign switch, it looks like it runs all the way to the Reg . going to have to un-wrap the entire wiring ..... wonderful !!

Bunch of questions if you guys could please help:

wiring diagram can be seen here :

http://www.themustangshop.com/resources.cfm

1. The alternator thats for a 69 comes up Ultima 01-0144 from Oreilly website . the one i have is a 01-0155 . Is it just a different amp ? or does the 69 have something different as far as the regulator ?

2.If you look at the 69 schematic, at the voltage reg. , there are 4 terminals, one isnt used which is labeled I . but there is a black wire from the Alt that runs up there and is just sitting to the right of the reg (on the diagram) .

where does this connect ?? I believe its coming from the STA terminal on the alt.

3. so again where does the STA on the Alt go to ?

4. When testing the back of the Alt, the Field terminal is grounded (no wires hooked up) according to my meter ! Is that correct ? Ive guess ive never seen a Field going to ground !

orange wire to field at reg.

black wire to ground at reg with ring term using mounting screw for reg.

Heavy guaged black/yel to starter relay batt side.

green/black to amp meter guage.

green/red to ign switch to sta on reg.

Not sure if they left it out, IIRC there is a white/blk from the sta trem at alt to reg sta lug.

Edited by Mach1Rider

1 - Ford used different amperage alternators depending on what options the car had.

2 - You should have four wires from the alternator. #26 is black w/red tracer and grounds at the regulator mounting bolt. #4 is white w/black tracer and runs from alternator to regulator terminal. #35 is orange and runs from alternator to regulator terminal. #38 is black, BUT ties into several other wires and runs to the battery side of the starter relay AND changes to yellow and ends at a regulator terminal AND also ties in with a black w/yellow tracer wire that goes to your instrument cluster.

3 - STA or stator goes to regulator.

4 - Yes, you are reading resistance through the various coils and through the diodes as well.

Hopes that helps, Bruce

ahh crap... sorry guys ...

i wrote down the wrong colors at the regulator plug.

they are definately the factory wires --

I = n/c

A = 2 yellows

S = 2 green/red (1 might be green/blk -hard to tell)

F = orange

so bruce , when you say The STA on alternator goes to regulator , which terminal on the regulator ? Not following when you say #26 , etc...

I have 3 wires from the ALT. = orange (field) , thick Black (batt + ) , and the third someone added. It is the STA wire . There was no 4th wire.

So we have

alt field to F

alt Batt to batt +

alt STA to ?

Sorry im being a pain ....

heres a good pic -

Well.......after exhaustive research...

I have found this :

Cars with a factory ammeter use 3 wires from the ALT.

the STA is not used.

Cars with a "warning/charge" light in the dash use the STA for that --- hence the 4 wires from the ALT.

Dont know if this is accurate, but I cant seem to get a solid answer from anyone and there are at least 3 or 4 1969 mustang wiring schematics on the internet that dont match .

No wonder I dont sleep at night .

ok , thanks .

I think that the guy that put the car together 10 years ago , had the STA wire connected to somewhere---and that was the cause of the meltdown of the Green/red trace wire .

so now i have a good Alt , and a new Volt reg , new ignition switch and plug-- in theory i should be ok .... :001_unsure:

STILL waiting on parts from Autokrafters.com , ordered on May 2. Anyone have problems with them ?

Ill never buy from them again , SLOW service , no tracking numbers --i had to email them and call---still no tracking number., and a female salesman with a BIG attitude problem.

Here i sit looking at the Mustang.......waiting on parts...9 days with NO progress.

The regulator is smaller because it is a solid state relay. IIRC the small round plug is for the noise suppressor for the radio.

I found this topic with the search button, so do you know how to check for sure the noise suppressor before radio installation?

thank you