Sign in to follow this  
mtw002

gt40p headers and a AOD 69 coupe

You will have to do a search. I believe there is a good post on the VMF with a list of prooven headers that will work with the GT40P's. I am running GT40Ps on my 351 and 4R70w trans, and I am using stock 351W manifolds, I wrote a post about it over a year ago on this forum. I personally didn't want to mess with the steering linkage and have low slung long tubes, and I don't think the power I will be making will be choked to badly by the manifolds. Some of the headers on the list were a little pricy too, but as many would argue, you get what you pay for. It has been reported that HP289 manifolds will work also, and I suspect they would clear (and flow) better than the 351W manifolds, and are available new and are quite affordable.

Mike,

Unfortunatley, progress is slow, and I still haven't driven the car. I am guessing I am around 250-275 hp. I dont have tons of compression, or a big cam. from what I read, a little over 300hp is about the max these heads will support in stock form. As a method of comparison, the first gen lightning made 240. I did the j-mod to the transmission, and will up the line pressure a bit with the baumann controller. Again, haven't driven it to say it was worth it, but the j-mod was really easy and cheap.

I have GT40p heads with headers and a good roller cam in my 1966 f100, run by a stock 5.0 computer and a 5 speed. It is a fun truck. I would guess I am closer to 300 on that, and it can get up to 18 mpg. If this 351 gives me any problems, I will probably build the same thing for my mustang, but sticking with stock manifolds.