Sign in to follow this  
zach69grande

Clean Coolant Drain?

I have some coolant related questions: Tried the search but didn't come up with quite what I wanted

Both the lower hose and the petcock are over the frame rails on my 69 Grande.. is there a 'clean' way to drain the Rad? what size hose fits over the petcock, or has anyone butchered a gallon jug to make a good funnel?

2. I have a chrome Tstat housing that appears to be leaking around the gasket - are all Chrome housings the O ring style or were some made with the reg gasket?

i'm trying to do this in as few trips to the part store as possible.. har de harr harr..

so far none of the chain auto stores will accept used coolant - the service shops will charge... at that point I may as well let them do the work too and get a full flush, and Tstat, gasket..

cheers

z

I have some coolant related questions: Tried the search but didn't come up with quite what I wanted

Both the lower hose and the petcock are over the frame rails on my 69 Grande.. is there a 'clean' way to drain the Rad? what size hose fits over the petcock, or has anyone butchered a gallon jug to make a good funnel?

2. I have a chrome Tstat housing that appears to be leaking around the gasket - are all Chrome housings the O ring style or were some made with the reg gasket?

i'm trying to do this in as few trips to the part store as possible.. har de harr harr..

so far none of the chain auto stores will accept used coolant - the service shops will charge... at that point I may as well let them do the work too and get a full flush, and Tstat, gasket..

cheers

z

Draining coolant is always a mess. I end up just removing the lower hose and using a big container. Most auto parts dont take used coolant. The only place I know that recycles coolant for free is Firestone.

Draining coolant is always a mess. I end up just removing the lower hose and using a big container. Most auto parts dont take used coolant. The only place I know that recycles coolant for free is Firestone.

You can, but as you can see, the petcock isn't really designed for that. There are large coolant drain pans you can get from any parts store. Most people use that and just rinse away anything the gets on the frame.

You can, but as you can see, the petcock isn't really designed for that. There are large coolant drain pans you can get from any parts store. Most people use that and just rinse away anything the gets on the frame.

Several things you can do to help keep the coolant off the lower radiator support. Use alum. foil to form a channel to divert the coolant into your drain pan.

I found a piece of tubing about 8 inches long that just barely fit into the hole in the drain petcock. It presses into the hole and then you just open the petcock about one full turn and the coolant flows through the hose and not all over the radiator support. Be sure to take off the radiator cap to release the vacuum so the coolant can flow freely. I hoe this helps.

Flush your coolant down the toilet. It goes to a waste water treatment facility that way. Don't do this if you are rural and use septic.

That used to be an acceptable method, but it is now a big NO-NO in my commmunity ... thanks to stricter government regulations, I believe this is the case at most (if not all) waste water treatment plants now.

May want to check with your local municipality before following this advise !!

Doug