Sign in to follow this  
pw520a

torque on intake manifold

Hello, I am istalling a old aluminum offenhouser intake on my 69 390, My question is would the torque specs be the same as the original cast iron? Does anyone have the original torque values, it would be very much appreciated. thanks. Gary

You can use the factory torque spec. Torque on bolts is based on the bolt, not the material that is being clamped. If you reduce the torque, you may not compress and seal the intake gaskets correctly. AFIK, there is no difference in torque spec. for factory aluminum vs. iron (e.g. 1978 302 cast iron vs. 1992 302 EFI aluminum)

You can use the factory torque spec. Torque on bolts is based on the bolt, not the material that is being clamped. If you reduce the torque, you may not compress and seal the intake gaskets correctly. AFIK, there is no difference in torque spec. for factory aluminum vs. iron (e.g. 1978 302 cast iron vs. 1992 302 EFI aluminum)

For the actual manifold bolts, I agree. However, when putting the thermostat housing on and some of the fittings (temperature gauge, vacuum ports, carburetor studs) where you are torquing into the aluminum, more care is needed. I've stripped out thermostat housing and carb holes before, and wasn't even wrenching that hard.

Edited by jholmes217