Sign in to follow this  
bobh67

Holley rear vacuum port interfers with rear of carb throttle bracket

Just purchased a new Holley 600. It has a large rear base mounted vacuum port. When I try to install my throttle bractet(the factory one that mounts to the 2 rear carb studs )it hits the vacuum port. Anyone have this problem? Do I have to modify the bracket? Is there another one available? Do I take out the rear vac. port? This can be done because there is another one in the 1" spacer directly below it? Any help?

Edited by bobh67

You can either remove and plug the port, or leave it in and stick a Rubber vac nipple over it, or put a piece of 3/8" hose with a bolt in it over the nipple....OR you can run to autozone or another parts place and buy that cheep little Spectra brand throttle bracket...it has a provision for a kick down cable as well if you are running one, and it only uses one stud on the carb to mount, i did this on a friends car and it works fine,,,,,you may have to bend the lower mounting bracket to make iut fit TIGHT because it has a tendancy to twist a bit because only one stud holds it on and there is a bit of clearance between the bracked and the edge of the carb base.

Mike

You can either remove and plug the port, or leave it in and stick a Rubber vac nipple over it, or put a piece of 3/8" hose with a bolt in it over the nipple....OR you can run to autozone or another parts place and buy that cheep little Spectra brand throttle bracket...it has a provision for a kick down cable as well if you are running one, and it only uses one stud on the carb to mount, i did this on a friends car and it works fine,,,,,you may have to bend the lower mounting bracket to make iut fit TIGHT because it has a tendancy to twist a bit because only one stud holds it on and there is a bit of clearance between the bracked and the edge of the carb base.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I already bought the Spectre #2418 off E-Bay .It looks like it will do the job.I know what you meen about the clearance between the carb base and the bracket I can make that work. My BIGGEST concern was the dimension of the square linkage hole working on my stock 70 accelerator cable.Was that an issue?

No this was not an issue, it just snapped right in there on the 69, and im pretty sure the 69/70 cables are the same so far as the little square piece on the cable....But if its larger, i think the spectre part is actully split at the top, so you can open it up a bit or make it smaller....but im pretty sure its the same...hell i have the specter part on my 77trans am as well and it fits.

Mike

Maybe something like this would work. I had to change my original bracket to this style when i installed a holley:

http://www.mansfieldmustang.com/03-94.jpg

John

Just FYI guys that throttle cable bracket is for 428's in Mustang and Cougars

(p/n C9ZZ-9741-BR)

Then how about this one with the raised portion to clear the pipe:

http://www.mansfieldmustang.com/03-04.JPG

Just FYI guys that throttle cable bracket is used with factory "Autolite" carburetor and aluminum carb spacer on 390 applications.

(p/n C9ZZ-9741-C)

The main thing is whatever works right? Bruce