Sign in to follow this  
ragtopjames

1970 fastback suspension

I want to restomod my 70 fastback . I want a modern suspension front and rear and am wondering which one you guys prefer ? I will be using a 460 with a C6 for now but eventually will swap to a 5 speed . I've seen the TCI systems which eliminate the inner shock towers and like it but wanted your opinions . I want the stance of a Trans AM Boss 302 car with maybe 18" wheels . But ..... I want it to ride decent when not hammering the corners . BTW ... I am new to this forum . :thumbup:

Thanks,

James

That 460 is going to be a lot of weight in the front. You might want to rethink that motor choice.

Agreed the boss trans am used small block fords to balance the weight ratio of the car that's why u never see a boss 429 racing on corners cuz the front is to heavy.

But that doesn't mean it can't be done with a 460 it just depends on how big your pocket book is and ur stock suspension won't cut it of course.

The front end of the chassis will need to be reinforced to withstand the weight and extra stresses of a 460 engine. Removing the shock towers to use TCI suspensions also adds to the need to reinforce the front end. Big blocks are great going straight ahead, but in the twisties the momentum forces are working to keep going straight.

I'd personally rethink the big block decision, and go with a 331 or 347 stroker.

The trans am stance was in part due to about a 25mm taper of the front sheet metal teamed with a 20mm notching and raising of the subframe and it used Kar Krafts custom front suspension. The ground clearance was 25mm. No one has repeated this geometry and stoutness in the aftermarket world. If you try to get any where near that purely with suspension and go 18" wheels with a 460 you will never get a "decent ride."

allan-moffats-trans-am-boss302.jpg?w=598&h=284

Sorry, not trying to deter you... just a sanity check, welcome to the forum!

I want to keep the 460 but will be using aluminum heads and intake so the extra weight should only be a couple hundred pounds . I like small blocks but that's all I've ever had and want a change . I know a big block car can be made to handle because I've seen several 390ci and bigger cars do it well . I don't necessarily have to have it as low as a Trans Am car but I do want that rake . My budget for the suspension upgrades is about 5K . What do you guys think ? Is it doable ? Here's a list of weights I found on the net .....

221-302W = 460

302 Boss = 500

351W = 525

351C-Boss = 550

351M-400 = 575

332-428FE = 625

427 HEMI = 680

429-460 = 720

429-Boss = 635

Edited by ragtopjames

I have a 69 fastback with (currently) lowered suspension; TCP coilovers on the front and leaf springs on the back. It handles great!

BUT... the headers scrape over every speed bump (meaning you have to slow down to a ridiculous crawl to get over them) and if you hit a bump of any size, the ultra-stiff rear suspension will jar your back mercilessly.

It may look cool, and it may handle great, but unless you're on a flat, smooth track, believe me, you won't like it.

I'm in the process of re-doing mine.

I have a 69 fastback with (currently) lowered suspension; TCP coilovers on the front and leaf springs on the back. It handles great!

BUT... the headers scrape over every speed bump (meaning you have to slow down to a ridiculous crawl to get over them) and if you hit a bump of any size, the ultra-stiff rear suspension will jar your back mercilessly.

It may look cool, and it may handle great, but unless you're on a flat, smooth track, believe me, you won't like it.

I'm in the process of re-doing mine.

Thanks for the info . What set-up are you going to ?