Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Roll Bars/Gages/subframe connectors

On my '70 I am thinking about redoing the subframe connectors to actually go through tthe floor. Along with stringers to the rockers. Has anyone done this?

I have connectors that are under the car but I have to fix the floor and thought about installing a Roll bar to stiffen up the car as well. Are there Roll Bars out there that are good?

Thanks

There are people that have done that. I remember seeing someone do that to a real 70 Boss 302. They did it in a way that they didn't have to cut the car up at all to add it. But I can't remember the poster's name.

A rollbar with bars running forward and to the rear will stiffen the car up tremendously. The strongest shape in nature is the triangle. When you add sub frame connectors and put a rollbar in, you basically make two triangles (one going to the front and one pointing to the rear. That's what I'll be doing with my roll cage.

I did it to my 69 and am very pleased with they way it turned out.My floors were rusted as well as the stock front floor support.I went with 2 1/2 square stock from the front frame rails back to the rear torque boxes.I found an article in an early 90's Mustang Monthly and just used my ideas with it..

You may want to read thru the build thread of BlackGMC, I'm not sure if this is the only one of his you would find useful but I dug it up first, he came immediatly to mind when reading your post. He used some very creative home brew ideas and built from scratch mostly. Unfortunately he hasn't posted in almost 3 years now but I think he was lurking back in the spring.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2438

Dad did the full frame to my mothers in '96, it's definatly worth the time and effort, stiffens the car up sooooo much better. I dont run any traction bars, just a 8" rear end with air shocks and a 10" drag radial. I think he did a little worth with the floor pans when he built them too