Sign in to follow this  
railblazer82

My69BossClone

Torque boxes, floor supports, toe kicks, all removed, prepped and ready for new ones,,, now just waiting on them to arrive! I also have various patch piece templates made.

While sitting back and contemplating my next moves,I decided to do a little exploring. I ended up amazed with my cars catalyst for a complete stripped down restoration. The cowl.

It amazes me how much of my cars rust problem stemmed from this piece of the car. From the factory it is sealed with the same sealant used for the windshield (1969). It wasn't meant to last. Over the last 41 years, it has deteriorated, and if like mine, wasn't applied as well as it could have been. This caused a leak, which from this area, the water is channeled down through the torque box, and eventually down the frame rail. This resulted in the cancer patient that my car had become.

If your car has never been taken down this far, you may want to consider a weekend project to "explore" this crucial part of your car. It may save you in the future.

It is not hard to get to. The places I feel should be checked on every car is just above the vents in the kick panels. Not much work is needed to gain access to where the sealant is used between the body and cowl. Use a wire wheel to remove it, and re seal it.

Just a tip from along the way........photo.php?fbid=1718201479photo.php?fbid=1718201479

AWP

Edited by railblazer82
add picture

You can upload pictures from a camera. Are you wanting to upload pictures directly to the thread or into an album? If you upload directly to the thread, it will only let you upload 5 images, one at a time. Once you've uploaded the 5 images, the next time you hit the

Attachments icon (paper clip, number 1 in attached image), your 5 attachments should show up in the drop down box. Maybe the pic below will help if you haven't uploaded directly to the thread before. Your camera should show up in the Look In: box as a removable drive (number 3 in attached image). Hope this helps.

[ATTACH]7664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7672[/ATTACH]

On our way home from kansas, as I received her.

[ATTACH]7673[/ATTACH]

taken 11/10/10

[ATTACH]7674[/ATTACH]

My lil girl helpin me!!! Tryin to keep the hobby alive!!

Well,, here is a test!!! If they show up,,, You guys are my hero's!!

Parts showed up today!! I will be fitting them tomorrow,, and will be taking lots of pics!!!

AwP

Here is the work done today.

Passenger toe board, from Mustangs Unl. required trimming 1 1/2" from the out side. Ligning it up with the contour of the firewall shows this, Pic 1. , Once this was trimmed, and put in place you can check the tourqe box, which required a 1/2" trimmed off the top. Dont worry about trimming off any flanges. These are only here for spot weld placements, which I Plant to full stitch weld. If you prefer to spot weld as per the factory, you can always re weld the flange back in place. Move in to the passenger compartment with the toe board as close to in place as possible, trace the outline of the toe board. remove and cut 1/4" inside the line,,leaving extra material. Re check the fit. I found the best way to fit this piece is by overlapping the toe board on the OUTSIDE of the firewall, and on the inside of the trans tunnel and floor board, but butted up to the kick panel. If all checks out, start stitch welding from the upper right hand corner (just under the cowl, and above the kick panel). I did have to heat up the toe board near the trans tunnel, and tapped into shape. This makes for a perfect fit.

:euro: AwP

[ATTACH]7680[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7681[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7682[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7683[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7684[/ATTACH]

Well,,, just got all the toe boards, front floor pans, torque boxes, floor supports completely welded in, now to move on to the frame rail extensions, and inner fender aprons. Ordered the front radiator support today, as well as the rear quarter skins. I am planning on rebuilding the original shock towers. This shouldn't be so bad, especially since Original Boss 302 towers are reinforced by gussets along the bottom of them, against the frame rail. Since the only thing wrong with the original one is that they are rusted out at the bottom,,, Patching them will not only make them work, but make it look Authentic as well!!!

AWP

Edited by railblazer82
edit

Well It is time to move along to fittin the frame rails,,,, need a couple measurements,,, Just from the tourque box to the front crossmember, under the radiator support. I also just ordered new quarter skins, wheel wells, tailight panel. Cant wait to get some time off work!!!! Thanks for any help!!

Nice progress. I love how we all look forward to our days off from work just so that we can work on our cars. Ironic but true my case. And working on my car is a lot more strenuous than working at work lol.

Thats a fact,,, today was a day I got off early,,, and wasnt sure what to do!!! My girlfriend reminded me I swore I was going to get some progress done!!! What a girl!!!! So I welded my frame rails together,,,, and started to fit them. I have decided that fitting the rear inner fender aprons first is the way to go. So they are fit, and tacked,,, and I ran out of weld wire...... damn. So off to the weld shop I go,,, I hope to have the rear inner fender aprons, and front frame rails in tonight,,, but Jen did want to take me to dinner tonight,,(first tellin me to work on the car, and now wanting to TAKE me to dinner?? questions arising lol) ,, here is to the rest of the day comin together!!!

AWP