Sign in to follow this  
mach-1-69-rob

69 Mach 1 - 351W and C6

Get a C6 out of an econoline van or F series truck with the small block and she will bolt right up. I did it way back when in high school with another 69 I used to own. You might have to bend the shift linkage some or fab an arm onto the transmission's shift lever. I didn't even have any drive line work done either. Bruce

Yes you can use a small block C6. I ran a small block C6 behind the 351C in my previous Mustang. You'll need the shifter arm for a floor shift, or fabricate your own. There was the C6 used behind 351C's that had factory 10" torque converter. You'll need the corresponding special flexplate to use the factory style 10" converter.

Mach Rob, yes, a C6 will fit in there. But if you are trying to cobble something together, a C6 isn't the best choice. Yes, they are sturdy, not overly exspensive, and bolt right in. But where is the AOD that was behind that bronco's engine ? If you have to source a tranny anyways, why not get one with overdrive ? If the AOD from the bronco is available, you would have change the tail housing and output shaft, and you'll need a X member to fit. I recently purchased an 89 AOD from a 302 Cougar for 125$. AODs are very available and reasonably cheap. The advantage of overdrive cannot be overstated. Currently I have a 302/C4/3.00 combination in my stang. I enjoy it very much, but also want to get the OD trans installed. I make trips to the next town over twice a week - 50 miles on the freeway one way - and anything that would help economy and enjoyment would be great. The more your drive your car, the more you'll want the OD. LSG

An S code with a 4 speed??? To me,, That is a very desirable car!! Go back all original!!!

I agree. Find a 390 (not that hard to find) and go original. Your wallet will thank you if you ever decide to sell.