Sign in to follow this  
69redcoupe

'98 5.0 into '69 -> Order parts for what app?

I am putting the engine out of a '98 Exploder (GT40P heads) into my '69 coupe. I am pretty good on what to order, but dont know what application to order them for.

It looks like I need to order an oil pan for the engine to fit. Will getting one for a '69 stang work?

The same question for...

-Intake Gasket (Using Edlebrock 289 Performer)

-Distributor

-Valve covers and gaskets

-Flywheel (have one from a '89 Stang, will it work?)

-Cam Kit (especially pushrod length)

-Starter (guessing this will just need to be for an '89 stang since that's the bell and flywheel I'm using)

-Oil pump and pickup

I am sure there are some other things I am forgetting, or overlooking, but I want to get the parts ordered ASAP, and get the engine back together and into the car.

Thanks for any help you can offer

-Shane

I did a similar budget build for my daily driver F100, but used the EFI stuff with it. It is a sweet little motor. I take it you already addressed all the exhaust manifold issues with the GT40P heads. To answer your questions....

It looks like I need to order an oil pan for the engine to fit. Will getting one for a '69 stang work? Yes, but get an oil pump pickup for a 69 stang also

The same question for...

-Intake Gasket (Using Edlebrock 289 Performer) Intake ports are the similar sized as E7 heads, so 89ish mustang GT gaskets will work.

-Distributor Any 302 application will work as long as you have the steel gear for the roller cam, which I am assume you will be using.

-Valve covers and gaskets Almost any stock application will work. I have steel "power by ford" covers on my mustang with GT40P heads, and stock 89ish 5.0 valve covers on my truck with an explorer motor.

-Flywheel (have one from a '89 Stang, will it work?) Yes, it will work. 82ish up has the same 50oz imbalance.

-Cam Kit (especially pushrod length) If you use a roller cam, and the stock hydraulic roller pushrods, and the stock rocker arms. I see no reason why the stock pushrods would need to be replaced... no matter what grind of cam you use. I used a Trick Flow stage 1 cam on my explorer motor. If you use anything besides a stock cam, you should replace the valvesprings. Replacing valve springs does not affect the pushrod length either.

-Starter (guessing this will just need to be for an '89 stang since that's the bell and flywheel I'm using) Yes

-Oil pump and pickup. To match oil pan above. Always check pickup clearance with clay, or by comparing depth.

Are you taking the heads off? If so, you can't reuse the torque to yield head bolts. Be sure to order new bolts, or find some off an older 302.

Water pump and Timing cover. The explorer is reverse rotation. If you are not using the serp setup, and going standard rotation, you do need to use a standard rotation timing cover and pump. (a standard rotation pump must be used with a standard rotation timing cover.)

Also, if you are not using the serp setup, you will need a balancer.

You mentioned a cam kit. How many miles are on this explorer motor? You can reuse the stock roller lifters as long as they are not damaged. The stock explorer motor has a lousy cam. It also has a medium lousy compression ratio, so it may not respond well to a high duration cam. But if you are on a budget, just order a cam... no kit. But do get valvesprings.

i just did a very similar build in my 69 coupe. i used gt40p heads, the manifolds i got are ford motorcraft shorty headers so they are made for gt40p heads and ive taken out all the spartplugs manytimes and had no issues. the only problem is you need to make a foxbody or sn95 x or h pipe. i got a custom exhaust header back and it made it alot easier. i used an hei destributer as well with the coil on top of the cap and worked well very easy to install and hook up with a msd ignition box...

Interesting this thread came up, since just today I was offered a running '99 Exploder 5.0 for $300, and I'm considering getting it for either my Mach or my Merkur.

Forgive the slight hi-jack...

I did a similar budget build for my daily driver F100, but used the EFI stuff with it. It is a sweet little motor. I take it you already addressed all the exhaust manifold issues with the GT40P heads.

I'm curious about what system you chose to use the EFI stuff? Did you swap the Exploder harness? Aftermarket harness? Custom? Did you use the Exploder ecu or go with some aftermarket standalone?

Also, what is the word on the exhaust side of the GT40p heads? I know there are swap headers made for these heads, but I wonder if there are other headers that might work as well? Anyone know?

on the exhaust side... not many headers will work and get good clearence for plug wires. Some will work with 90 degree boots on the plug ends... my shorty headers for foxbody 5.0s they clear great but i had to dent one of the primarys it was sitting on the steering gearbox.

Interesting this thread came up, since just today I was offered a running '99 Exploder 5.0 for $300, and I'm considering getting it for either my Mach or my Merkur.

Forgive the slight hi-jack...

I'm curious about what system you chose to use the EFI stuff? Did you swap the Exploder harness? Aftermarket harness? Custom? Did you use the Exploder ecu or go with some aftermarket standalone?

Also, what is the word on the exhaust side of the GT40p heads? I know there are swap headers made for these heads, but I wonder if there are other headers that might work as well? Anyone know?

It was another budget project. I used a 90s mustang mass air ECU (A9L) I modified a wire harness, and used all the sensors and dizzy, coil from a pull-your-part junkyard 5.0 lincoln. I also used the mustang injectors only because I had them. No reason you couldn't use the explorer injectors (19lbs, just a different connector)

On my truck, I modified the headers to fit. I basically had to move one of the runners out. Easy enough on an F100, obviously no room to do that on a mustang.

On my mustang with a 351, I used stock 351 manifolds, with the "webbing" removed. There is a thread on this forum about a year ago where I posted the details!

Thanks a ton for the reply. I'm considering taking the entire deal from the Exploder, including the harness, computer, etc., but I need to double check and see if it's viable to adapt to the Mustang. I like the idea of OBD II for several reasons, but I'm not chained to it by any means, so a A9L conversion might be the better choice for ease of conversion.

Anyway, thanks again, and hijack over.

Not trying to jack the threaad, but i got a 94 351W and im uncertian if its got the reverse rotation cooling system on it...If it does what will i need to make it work in my 69, i do plan on using the serp system...I have the harmonic ballancer, and the timing cover, but wont be going fuel injected...planning on some alum heads a stout hyd roller and a carburetor.

Will i need a radiator with the inlets and outlets on opposite sides?

Mike