Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Stroked 408 hot engine

I recently stroked the 351W to 408 and she wants to run hot in town. I have a brand new radiator (standard size), new water pump, hoses, etc and new temperature sending unit. Do I need to upgrade to a larger aluminum radiator? I thought I would ask for opinions before investing any more money. I have no temperature gage just the original unit on the dash. Thank you.

Silly question, but you got the thermostat in correctly?

My friends 408 with aluminum rad and dual SPAL Fans runs a bit warm when in traffic, and he has the Edelbrock water pump good radiator and fans and it still hovers in the 190-200 area in traffic on HOT days...the water wetter did help him out tho:)

Get that mechanical Gauge in there tho to verify it.

Mike

Thank you for the replys. There was no shroud when I bought the car a few years ago. There is a gap between the sides of the radiator and the frame that could probably be covered with a thick rubberized material to help direct more cooling air from the electric fan to the engine and not bypass the radiator. It looks like a 24" radiator is in the future and I have to look into the direct reading gage and wetter water. I would like to put a tach in also but that will have to wait for my Sugar Momma to come along. Thanks again for the advise.