Sign in to follow this  
Angel

mustang 2 suspension

Is anyone running the mustang 2 front end on their car? I ask because Im getting ready to start working on my car and I am beginning to consider going that route. One of my shock towers has a small crack which I believe can be repaired by welding it. I also plan to install a rack and pinion. Perhaps the main reason why I am giving it some thought is because I would love to stick the new 5.0 DOHC engine in the car instead of the 408 stroker I was going to go with. A rack and pinion is going to run about $1700 alone. M2 suspensions run about $2200. The new 5.0 retails for $7k from ford racing, which is only a few hundred dollars more than what I have set aside for the 408 build. I know its a lot of work and I'll probably end up spending a lot more than expected, but if I can get better handling, better braking, and a better performing engine for a couple hundred dollars more than what Im going to spend now, why not do it? What do you guys think?

Yeah that's why I am hesitant to do it. I know there a lot of things that will change. I know the engine will sit higher and I may need to change my hood as a result. If I decide to use a modular engine, I know the trans tunnel will need to be enlarged. Not to mention all the cutting, welding, and fab work. Im 2 years away from receiving my BS in mechanical engineering so I thought this would be a good challenge for me, or anyone for that matter. I am just trying to gather information before deciding which way to go. I don't want to change my plans midway. Ive only bought a set of heads, which I can sell, so Im not obligated to stay on any route yet.

The mustang 2 suspension i was quoted was 2000-2400 for the suspension and another 4000 to install at a known reputable shop that does restorations.

I would stick with just rack and pinion, and the stroker.

The MII Suspension wont get you anything more than the Upgraded upper and lower control arms, roller perches and a set of good sway bars will.....Call opentracker racing and talk to them about it

Mike

I would only go with the M2 if I decide to use a modular engine. And I will only choose the modular engine if I believe I can install the M2 front end myself. At this point in life I don't think I am ready to tackle something like that. I just couldnt help but consider it and was wondering what other people had done. However, if I don't to it to the coupe, I have a fastback that I plan on restoring in about 10 years. That one will get the M2 along with the new 5.0 DOHC. Im thinking Boss 302 clone.