Sign in to follow this  
Dangstang

Wheel and tire question

I know this has been talked about a bit :yawn: I just bought a 69 Mach (being picked up in California tommorow) and will be shipped to my home in Alberta Can the following week.Im going to welcome it with a set of wheels and tires.And am inteseted in opinions on Tire and wheel combos.Car currently has 14" crappy wheels I would like to put on larger wheels 16" or 17" Torque Thrusts maybe,would like kinda the old school look with noticably wider in the back. The car is factory stock with disc front ,drum back.What are my options with out any mods? I just want to bolt them on and go.

Thanks

I know this has been talked about a bit :yawn: I just bought a 69 Mach (being picked up in California tommorow) and will be shipped to my home in Alberta Can the following week.Im going to welcome it with a set of wheels and tires.And am inteseted in opinions on Tire and wheel combos.Car currently has 14" crappy wheels I would like to put on larger wheels 16" or 17" Torque Thrusts maybe,would like kinda the old school look with noticably wider in the back. The car is factory stock with disc front ,drum back.What are my options with out any mods? I just want to bolt them on and go.

Thanks

Thanks , I did research the forums and the chart was attached to one of the posts .Although I am looking for to hear from members who are running 16 or 17" wheels and did not have any issues.As I will probally order online I will be stuck with what I get.I like the Torque thrust M wheels and was thinking 235-45-17 front

and 245-45-17 rear on 8" with a 0 offset But I do not know if this would give me correct offset .As well would the 245s on the back give a wider profile?I know next to nothing bout tires.

Regards

Thanks , I did research the forums and the chart was attached to one of the posts .Although I am looking for to hear from members who are running 16 or 17" wheels and did not have any issues.As I will probally order online I will be stuck with what I get.I like the Torque thrust M wheels and was thinking 235-45-17 front

and 245-45-17 rear on 8" with a 0 offset But I do not know if this would give me correct offset .As well would the 245s on the back give a wider profile?I know next to nothing bout tires.

Regards

i just checked rimsntires.com

the recommend putting 225/50R17 up front and 255/45R17 in the back on the rim that you would like to have (TT M, 17x8.0 ET0 PCD 5x114.3 (5x4.5) )

i just checked rimsntires.com

the recommend putting 225/50R17 up front and 255/45R17 in the back on the rim that you would like to have (TT M, 17x8.0 ET0 PCD 5x114.3 (5x4.5) )

Well just some basic info that you can apply to any choice you make, a 17" rim clears the upper ball joint so you can fit wider selections and use more backspace than you could with a 16" wheel. 17" will also allow you to upgrade to larger 13" discs at some point in the future if you so choose. For 8" rims you'll pretty much want about 4.5" of back space on a 17" rim. If you are going to run 8" rims front and back you may want to consider the same tire size too so you have the option to rotate. It would be a shame to have everything almost exactly the same and then not have this option because of a minor 235 vs. 245 difference.

All though I haven't decided on who I'm placing my order with yet my set up is pretty much set in stone. I'm going with AR's 17" billet version of the original Magnum 500 in a 17x8 up front with 4.5 bs and a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire and 6" bs.

Well just some basic info that you can apply to any choice you make, a 17" rim clears the upper ball joint so you can fit wider selections and use more backspace than you could with a 16" wheel. 17" will also allow you to upgrade to larger 13" discs at some point in the future if you so choose. For 8" rims you'll pretty much want about 4.5" of back space on a 17" rim. If you are going to run 8" rims front and back you may want to consider the same tire size too so you have the option to rotate. It would be a shame to have everything almost exactly the same and then not have this option because of a minor 235 vs. 245 difference.

All though I haven't decided on who I'm placing my order with yet my set up is pretty much set in stone. I'm going with AR's 17" billet version of the original Magnum 500 in a 17x8 up front with 4.5 bs and a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire and 6" bs.

I'm going with AR's 17" billet version of the original Magnum 500 in a 17x8 up front with 4.5 bs and a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire and 6" bs.

with the setup above, your front wheels will be wider then you back, compared to the rim size. (245mm-8"=42mm vs 275-9.5"=34mm)

if you go with 285/40R17, they would be 44mm wider then the rim and the diameter would be sighly larger in the back (26" vs 25,7").

this might look better.

I'm going with AR's 17" billet version of the original Magnum 500 in a 17x8 up front with 4.5 bs and a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire and 6" bs.

with the setup above, your front wheels will be wider then you back, compared to the rim size. (245mm-8"=42mm vs 275-9.5"=34mm)

if you go with 285/40R17, they would be 44mm wider then the rim and the diameter would be sighly larger in the back (26" vs 25,7").

this might look better.

this might look better.

Are you sure about your math? I have seen this setup on other cars (different rims) and the front has not looked wider?!?!?!?!? There is even a set up like that on the Dodgestang chart just with 1/2" less BS.

this might look better.

Are you sure about your math? I have seen this setup on other cars (different rims) and the front has not looked wider?!?!?!?!? There is even a set up like that on the Dodgestang chart just with 1/2" less BS.

the calculation should be ok, but you have to divide the difference by two

so... (42mm-34mm)/2= 4mm on both sides, that's not much but you might be able to see it.

i guess the best thing is, next time you see a car with that setup take a close look to find out if it might bother you or not.

8" = 203.2mm

9.5" = 241.3mm

the calculation should be ok, but you have to divide the difference by two

so... (42mm-34mm)/2= 4mm on both sides, that's not much but you might be able to see it.

i guess the best thing is, next time you see a car with that setup take a close look to find out if it might bother you or not.

8" = 203.2mm

9.5" = 241.3mm

So you mean mainly by the sidewall buldge they'll look wider, the tread pattern on the 245 is obviously narrower. I guess I never noticed it so it never really occured to me. I'll have to comapre actuals when it comes time to mount them, I think I'd rather go a little narrower up front instead of increasing the rear as 245 is a lot of rubber to turn with. I chose that mainly to keep the sidewall heights about the same.

So you mean mainly by the sidewall buldge they'll look wider, the tread pattern on the 245 is obviously narrower. I guess I never noticed it so it never really occured to me. I'll have to comapre actuals when it comes time to mount them, I think I'd rather go a little narrower up front instead of increasing the rear as 245 is a lot of rubber to turn with. I chose that mainly to keep the sidewall heights about the same.

yes, exactly, i'm refering to the sidewall buldge.

funny thing, i looked at the tire comparer too, before i made the posting.

as i said, it's ~4mm on both side of the rims. i'm not sure if you see it in real life, but i'm pretty sure you won't notice that on a scaled down model :-)

yes, exactly, i'm refering to the sidewall buldge.

funny thing, i looked at the tire comparer too, before i made the posting.

as i said, it's ~4mm on both side of the rims. i'm not sure if you see it in real life, but i'm pretty sure you won't notice that on a scaled down model :-)

Well we shall see when the time comes, I'm not worried about it at all though. 4mm is about the size of that little green online symbol to the left of the postings. I've never noticed it on similar set ups and by the time my car is finished if that's all that someone sees when they look at it then nothing would make them happy. I think it's way more noticable seeing a difference in sidewall height or overall diameter than extension past the rim.