Sign in to follow this  
82stangracer

HELP! 351w flywheel

EDIT..... I HAVE BETTER DETAILS AND MORE INFO ON MY NEXT POST....PLEASE SEE BELOW.

I'm putting a '79 351w and the '69 3 speed in my fastback and I know I need a 28oz flywheel but do I need the 164 or 157 tooth and what starter do I need. Thanks

Edited by 82stangracer
New details

Bellhousing size will denote what size flywheel to use.

164 tooth needs a standard trans starter.

157 tooth flywheel can use eather.

Although Ford only made the 164 tooth flywheel with the short offset that required a manual specific starter, you can get one from the aftermarket that will use a late model starter. All 351s, both W and C, used the 164 tooth as did the Boss 302.

The 157 tooth flywheel originally came in the same depth as the 164 tooth and had a 28 oz imbalance. These early flywheels used a 10 inch clutch. Late model 5.0 flywheels have the same depth as an auto flexplate but use a 50 oz imbalance and are drilled for a 10.5 inch clutch. However, they are available in the aftermarket with the early 28 oz imbalance.

Ok, I have now had time to look at what I got, so hear are better details. My current set up in my fastback is a early 80s vic '79 cast 351w with an auto trans. The car was originally a 250ci w/3speed. The clutch pedal assembly is still on the car. So I am going to take the 3speed out of the coupe I have and put it in my fastback. The bell housing on the 3speed will bolt up and is cast C90A 6394 A and I have to use a 157tooth flywheel. So I basicly have 3 questions.

1. Will the starter off of the auto trans work with the 3 speed and 157tooth flywheel?2. What size clutch can I run on the 157tooth?

3. When I buy my pilot bearing, by what application do I need to buy it for?

I personally would use a manual transmission starter if you're using a manual transmission. 157 tooth flywheel = 10" clutch disc. The pilot bearing will be included in most clutch kits and would need to match the year of the car. Here's one that would fit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-30008/

I would make you a hell of deal on it since I have a new one I didnt use since I upgraded to a 11". Dont forget you'll need a 351 z-bar unless you decided to go hyd or cable.

If your fastback already has the under dash clutch pedal assy why are you swapping it out with the one in your coupe?

I personally would use a manual transmission starter if you're using a manual transmission. 157 tooth flywheel = 10" clutch disc. The pilot bearing will be included in most clutch kits and would need to match the year of the car. Here's one that would fit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-30008/

I would make you a hell of deal on it since I have a new one I didnt use since I upgraded to a 11". Dont forget you'll need a 351 z-bar unless you decided to go hyd or cable.

If your fastback already has the under dash clutch pedal assy why are you swapping it out with the one in your coupe?

I'm not swapping the pedal assembley, I'm only putting the trans out of the coupe. The po put the automatic in it that came with the 351 but didn't remove the clutch pedal assembly. I do need to get the Z bar and the bracket that bolts to the back of the block to hold the z bar. what kinda deal are you talking on the clutch kit?

Only the 164t Manual trans from the late 60s/early 70s require the manual trans starter. All others use the automatic starter, so you should be fine assuming your bellhousing and flywheel are 157t. Maybe the following link will help clarify, as well as assist you in the dimensions you need to measure on your car to verify: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1wxkAVHXlwsN96vd2f_IDd4eRQTJNSHnAZ9TEmO62rdpXKuQ53O6gRt7jGkS3&authkey=CJi_hdYK&hl=en

Only the 164t Manual trans from the late 60s/early 70s require the manual trans starter. All others use the automatic starter, so you should be fine assuming your bellhousing and flywheel are 157t. Maybe the following link will help clarify, as well as assist you in the dimensions you need to measure on your car to verify: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1wxkAVHXlwsN96vd2f_IDd4eRQTJNSHnAZ9TEmO62rdpXKuQ53O6gRt7jGkS3&authkey=CJi_hdYK&hl=en

Thanks. Thats a helpful article.