Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Ignition gremlins

On my '70 Fastback when I turn the key on the starter engages. When I twist it to where it's supposed to be engaged it shuts off. Any thoughts?

Looked at the plunger on the column and it seems right. Nothing has changed except for this out of the blue...

Thanks

It sure seems as if your wires got switched, but it takes somebody to do this. If one day it was working fine and the next day not, then it seems like you have a bad switch. You can bypass the switch to verify, the way to do this is unplug the connector to switch under the dash. I have a 69 and know exactly how to do it on it, but 70's are a different animal. Maybe someone else knows how to do it.

On my '70 Fastback when I turn the key on the starter engages. When I twist it to where it's supposed to be engaged it shuts off. Any thoughts?

Looked at the plunger on the column and it seems right. Nothing has changed except for this out of the blue...

Thanks

If you did not make any sol wire changes, then your problem is within the ign switch assy.

It sounds like the switch contacts are worn or broken.

You can get a replacement switch,But you have to cut off the plug end from your old switch and reuse it on the new one.

1st check for the slide/switch for out of adjustment.

You didn't say if it still has the spring back from start position working?

If not then your going to have to replace the assy.

If it does spring back, do the switch adjustment byloosening the 2 nuts on the slide and turning the key to assessory position, then slide the switch towards the firewall till the radio plays and lock down the nuts.

Then retest the switch funtions.

Only thing that comes to mind is that the wires on the solenoid are backwards. Try swapping the wires on the S and I terminals. Loosen the battery terminals in case you need to disconnect in a hurry ;)

Tried this but no difference...

1st check for the slide/switch for out of adjustment.

You didn't say if it still has the spring back from start position working?

If not then your going to have to replace the assy.

If it does spring back, do the switch adjustment byloosening the 2 nuts on the slide and turning the key to assessory position, then slide the switch towards the firewall till the radio plays and lock down the nuts.

Then retest the switch funtions.

I took the column apart and found this switch with the rod in it. Loosened it and tried to adjust but didn't solve the problem.

Yes, the key does swing back. But I don't have a radio to try that out. Any other ways of checking i?

If I replace the switch is it the actual key part or the whole rod/key/contacts?

Simple test light hooked to any accessory wire will show power is on while slide is in correct position matching the key in acc. position .

Make sure the rod is in the hole of the slide switch, Check for worn or broken hole, bent rod allowing not allowing slide function.

Poor contacts in inside slide with no lube causing sticky spot.

As long as the key cyl functions well and the rod isn't bent/ worn.

The slide switch on the lower part of the colume is what you replace.