Sign in to follow this  
RZ_70coupe

Ride Hight Question

I completly replaced all components on my 70 coupe. I just realized it is setting much heigher than I think it should. Compaired to my 69 it is about 1 1/2 inches taller in the front.

After measuring several areas, I see the springs are compressing about 1/2 inch per coil less than the 69. The distance from ground to upper control arm is anout 1 1/2 inches longer on the 70.

The car had been begun restoration prior to me getting the car, but the front suspension apeard original. I pulled eveything off and it was apart for abut 2 months. IDEAS????

4850698169_81320e56de.jpg

4851316410_b663bd0991.jpg

new springs are stiffer, could be different springs, if you tighten the lower control arm with the body raised and weight off the wheels, the friction in the bushing will keep the body higher than it should be.

new springs are stiffer, could be different springs, if you tighten the lower control arm with the body raised and weight off the wheels, the friction in the bushing will keep the body higher than it should be.

I loosened both lower control arms. Got on the frame and bounced the front end. Still higher. I measured the compressed springs on both cars. The 69 is at 10 inches and the 70 is at 12 inches. The 69 upper arm is paralell with the ground the 70 is pointing down about 15deg. As far as I know these are the original springs on both cars.

I also noticed the 70 is VERY hard to bounce. I weigh 200 and it was work to get it bouncing.

I realize this is tought to diagnose over the net. Thanks.

Are the spring the correct weight/tension for your engine set up,and is the engine and tranny in the car. that will make a huge difference in how high it sits.

onlt things not on are the fenders and hood. I'm guessing they are original springs as they were on it when I got the car, but do not know for a fact.

If I can not get this figured out I might just have to buy a new set of springs.

You need to have all the parts on the car to measure right height. You also need to drive around the block to settle the springs. And if it's still to high, just cut the springs. Not a big deal to do. Cold cut them although. No cutting torches or heat. It ruins the temper in the springs.

Edited by maxum96