Sign in to follow this  
197DMach1

I need help with 18-20 inch wheels

Hello everyone I'm new here and happy I found such a great forum. I'm looking for some help from you guys. I have a 1970 Mach 1 that I'm finishing up and now need wheel advice/help.

I'm going with the Boss 338's and trying to figure out the best setup. My options are as follows:

18s (for front)

18x8 Offset +2 mm, Backspace 4.517

18x8 Offset +14 mm, Backspace 4.989

20s (for rear)

20x8.5, Offset +14 mm, Backspace 5.239

20x8.5, Offset +28 mm, Backspace 5.79

I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Aim for 5" BS front and 5.5" rear. I found that to be almost perfect for my 18's.

If you plan on lowering your car, you will need to roll the front fender lips if you want to put rubber on those rims that doesn't look goofy (by goofy I mean the wheel being wider than the rubber).

Up front I run a 245/40/18 tire on an 18x8 wheel.

The wheels were originally 9" wide, but I didn't like the goofy look and couldn't squeeze any wider rubber in the wheel well. I ended up having then narrowed 1" which worked great as the wheels had 6" of BS which was too much so I had to use a 1" spacer. When I got the wheels narrowed, the rubber looked much better and I got to ditch the spacers as 5" of BS seems about perfect.

Why go with 20's on a mach1? 18's should be about the limit on a classic car and the tires will be much cheapers and easier to get.

Personal preference? Kind of like the reason the radio has more than one station.