Sign in to follow this  
BadDad5

Newbie question

Hello gang!

A new guy on here with a question. Has anyone ever tried a 69 Shelby panels on a Coupe/Grande or seen pics of one? I did the forum search feature but came up short. What difficulty are we talkin for a front/rear cosmetic swap on the Coupe/Grande? I'm no stranger to restorations. The last car I restored was a 70 Cougar, but this Mustang would be my first if I decide it would look good, so I just need a bit of insight from the experts.

Edited by BadDad5

You can put Shelby hood, fenders, and front bumper on any 1969-70 Mustang. They're all identical as from the fenders forward. You can put the Shelby tail pieces on because they were designed for a fastback and you have a coupe.

Hello gang!

A new guy on here with a question. Has anyone ever tried a 69 Shelby panels on a Coupe/Grande or seen pics of one? I did the forum search feature but came up short. What difficulty are we talkin for a front/rear cosmetic swap on the Coupe/Grande? I'm no stranger to restorations. The last car I restored was a 70 Cougar, but this Mustang would be my first if I decide it would look good, so I just need a bit of insight from the experts.

There were 1969/70 Shelby convertibles which was more similar to the coupe than the fastback. I would think it be an easy swap to make a 69/70 Mustang coupe into a 69/70 Shelby "convertible" clone with a hardtop. The endcaps, trunk lid, tailight panel, and bumper should do it. The fastback and convertible Shelby's had their side scoops in different locations, so just add the scoops in the convertible location.

I think it'd be a cool project and look forward to seeing one. I have seen several 69/70 coupes with the Shelby end caps and deck lid and thought it looked cool.

3511116125_c107888c87.jpg

The Mexican Shelby above:

mufp_0701_02r_z+1969_ford_mustang_hardtop+rear.jpg

Can be done and looks nice: