Sign in to follow this  
carprojects

8 inch axle compatibility

So I found this info on Ebay and it seems to confirm that axles are compatible:

"This auction is for a matched pair of used Mustang 28 spline axles for the Ford 8 inch or 9 inch type rear end. The axles have a 5 lug 4 1/2 inch bolt circle. The axle bearings may need to be replaced since they are probably the original bearings. The axle studs have good threads but have been exposed to the weather so they are somewhat rusty but should work ok. The long axle measures 31 7/8 inches and the short axle measures 27 15/16 inches. The measurements are taken by hooking the tape to outside edge of the axle flange and measuring to the end of the axle. These axles will work with either single track, (Open), or posi-track Traction Lock differentials. Applications for these axles are 71-73 Cougar, 70 Fairlane, 70 1/2 Falcon, 70-71 Montego, 71-73 Mustang and 70-71 Torino with the 28 spline 8 inch or 9 inch Ford removable carrier type rear differential. If you have a question e-mail me before you bid. Buyer pays shipping from zip code 47660. Full payment is expected within 5 days of auction end. Sorry, no personal or business checks accepted. Please look at my other auctions for more gears and parts. Thanks for looking. Good Luck Bidding!!!"