Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Needed: Letter "A" for trunk

Hi Doc. A couple of years ago I remember having running across one of the Trunk Letters stashing it away somewhere. I'll search around and see if I can find it. Not even sure which letter it is, but I do remember that it was in Pristine condition.

Found it. It's the letter "T" and it's not in as good a shape as I remembered. It only has the Lower mounting post. The top one is missing, but the Chrome is in perfect condition. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

No problem. Thanks for the effort.

Give me a few days, i know for a certainty i have it just unsure of the condition ill send a pic when i get home after the holiday.

I'll be anxiously standing by :001_smile:

I seem to recall a vendor that sold individual letters at one time, I tried looking online with the ones I use most often but didn't see it.

In any case, if you still come up empty I can check mine. I went with stick on for the new fiberglass deck lid and I know that my G got messed up and maybe the N but the damage may not have gone as far down as the A and it could still be in tact and good looking.

Thanks guys!

I'm trying to avoid the stick on type since I only need the one letter. I'm also trying to avoid buying an entire new set since there may be differences with what I currently have.

I found someone on ebay selling a NOS set of the stick-ons. It was very tempting.

Found it last night!! It is in OK shape. Both posts are good, but the chrome is not the best. Looks good from a distance, but up close it is not the best. I have attached some pictures, if you want it, it's yours! Let me know!

Found it last night!! It is in OK shape. Both posts are good, but the chrome is not the best. Looks good from a distance, but up close it is not the best. I have attached some pictures, if you want it, it's yours! Let me know!

Thanks so much, but I think I'll have to pass on it. Unfortunately, the set I have right now is completetly new so the difference would be pretty noticeable. I very much appreciate you looking around for it :)

Thanks so much, but I think I'll have to pass on it. Unfortunately, the set I have right now is completetly new so the difference would be pretty noticeable. I very much appreciate you looking around for it :)

No Problem, I completely understand. I kind of figured that would be the case which is why I tried to get some close up pictures to show the condition of the chrome.

I got in touch with Scott Drake today. The guy I talked to was very nice and said he would send out a new letter "A", but it will be the stick-on kind. He didn't want to send out one with the pins and have the same problem, which I agreed to. Though I hope they will look into the issue on their side.

I got in touch with Scott Drake today. The guy I talked to was very nice and said he would send out a new letter "A", but it will be the stick-on kind. He didn't want to send out one with the pins and have the same problem, which I agreed to. Though I hope they will look into the issue on their side. [/quote]

This sounds like the end to a story that you never actually told us?

So are you all set then? I spotted my trunk lid in the attic but couldn't get to it. I strarted to clear a path to it and was going to finish this weekend and take a pic for you.

ha, ha! I guess you're right. I didn't realize it. The set I have are a Scott Drake repop set. I didn't want to replace the set because I figured I'd have the same problem with the letter "A". That is why I tried to see if anyone had an original on the forums.

I'd still prefer to have a good pin on letter. I'm worried the stick-on letter "A" being completely flush against the trunk and the rest of the letter showing a little gap.

Well that's a little more info, still not sure what the problem was though that you were afraid would be the same?

OK then, I'll finish making my way to mine this weekend and snap a pic for you!

Dang...you're right again! I sure have messed up this thread, can I call a mulligan? The "A" on the Scott Drake set was about a 1/4" or more higher than the rest of the letters. It really stood out and looked funny compared to the rest of the letters. It's really a shame because they feel like they are well made.

That's OK, this has been fun! (LOL) This is an obscure reference you probably won't get but I couldn't help be reminded of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon called Hare we go. He's sitting at a table on a boat with Christopher Columbus and they are taking turns talking and eating from the same bowl of soup as the boat rocks back and forth and the bowl slides from one end to the other. So it's something like:

I have..........

You have what?

I have news that........

news? about what?

Tomorrow we........

yeah yeah tomorrow we what?

Tomorrow we land....

Blah blah etc

Wow, so that is odd, it has to be an issue with their casting then so all sets would be off unless they have multiple suppliers and tooling.

OK then, I'll make sure to go after mine this weekend, just left myself a message on the answering machine and set a reminder in my cell phone for Sunday afternoon just in case. I can't be 100% sure it is original but should be good and correct height, I think I would have noticed that. The only issue I ever recall was the M had a broken pin and needed a drop of super glue to keep it straight.

But do you still have the "A" holes in your trunk! BAHHHH!!!

sorry, I couldnt resist.

That may be one of the best posts I've ever read!

The sad thing now is that after all the issues about the letters I don't need them. I'm going with a Maier Racing trunk and I think the letters won't look correct on it.

Plus, I never did get that letter from Scott Drake. If I cared I'd call them back.