Sign in to follow this  
unfrozen1969

speedo cable

I am parting out a 69 coupe and I am trying to remove the guages, but the speedo cable is obviuosly connected. It looks like there is a release, but it is a tight fit and I don't want to damage anything. What is the best way to remove the guages with or without the speedo cable attached?

Bill:scared:

Methinks you will want to remove the speedo cable before removing the gauge pod.

There is probably a little plastic sleeve on the speedo cable connection to your speedo whose purpose is to lock the cable in place. It might have broken off over time. Just rotate that sleeve out of the way and pull straight back on the cable toward the front of the car. It might seem stuck, but there's nothing else holding it on there, so have at it.

You could consider detaching the speedo cable from the tranny first and pulling it through the underside of the car, through the firewall and out as you remove your gauge cluster with the cable attached, but this sounds like a pain.

Good luck.

Tom

There is a white plastic with a piece you press to disconnect it. Sometimes pressing this realese piece the tab will break off from being brittle after so many years. Just press the white tab and pull straight back. It should pull out of the back of the speedometer.