Sign in to follow this  
bcorbin

Replacing Low/outer Headlamp adjustment hardware

In the process of replacing the low beam/outer headlamps I found that one of the adjustment nuts that the adjustment screw turns into or out of to adjust the beam is broken. The picture here shows the kit that I found to replace the broken piece. There are two adjustments per headlight.

This adjustment "nut" mounts to the headlight bucket from the back side (wheel well). The two screws that mount this piece to the bucket are almost impossible to get to because there is another housing inside the wheel well and behind the low beam bucket. I loosened 2 of the 5 bolts I could find holding the housing in place but it didn't seem to be coming loose.

Does anyone here know if this housing comes out or is it part of the fender? Or does anyone know the trick to replacing this adjustment assembly?

[ATTACH]6653[/ATTACH]

I think what you're describing is what is referred to as the "headlight bucket" that attaches to the fender. I'm not sure I'm following you 100%, but it sounds like the little square "nut" the adjustment screw goes in is broke on your bucket and you need to replace it?

Getting the bucket off the fender isn't that easy due to the tight angles of the studs, but I recall its 4 stud-nuts and it comes away from the fender. It's been over 2 years, but I recall they were kind of a bummer get a socket on one or two of them. I recall wishing I had a flexible socket extension.

The other option is to remove the fender entirely but this is probably more work than you're looking for to replace headlamp adjustment hardware.

I'll check my shop manuals for a pic of that arrangement and post it if I can find it.

Good luck,

Tom

Edited by foothilltom
spelling, spelling, spelling

I would remove the headlight and the small bucket it attaches to. Removing the fender extension is a little more involved and you still won't be able to access the 2 screws any easier. The removal of the fender extension involves unbolting it from the fender, radiator support, lower pan and bumper. With the headlight out, remove the remaining adjustment screw and the small spring that holds the small bucket in place then change the adjustment screw retaining nut. The spring is a real pain though. Reassemble & readjust headlights.

Thanks Tom and Racer. I didn't know how to describe everything very well but I think both of you understand what I am trying to do.

So to be clear then, what I called the "housing" which is behind the headlight bucket or fender extension (not the removable bucket) is integral to the extension itself and does not remove from it from inside the wheel well? If that piece was removable it would make this nut and its mounting screws accessible. I guess that would be too easy. I was able to get the nut that was broken, off with a right angle screw driver but I imagine it will take time and a few choice words to get the new one back in place.

I am temped to drill correctly placed holes in the "housing" that are just big enough to get a Phillips head through so that I could replace all of the adjustment hardware.

Any additional comments or direction are welcome.

Thanks,

Bret

[ATTACH]6664[/ATTACH]

It sounds like you've got a plan, but I couldn't help but think I wasn't explaining myself well. This image might clarify some stuff. The large assembly on the top is called the "headlamp bucket" in some circles but could also be called the fender extension. In any case, isn't this where you have to install the new nut (from the backside)?

The little bowl that holds the actual headlamp is attached with the adjusting screws, spring etc. to the light bucket. Not sure what this bowl is called.

So, unless I'm mis-remembering (very possible!), I think you need to remove this bucket and install your new nut. This bucket is an SOB to remove, but it can be done. Let me know if I'm smoking crack here.

With all this said, it sounds like you've got a plan that might require far less dismantling.

Tom

Hi Tom. I don't smell any smoke coming from your direction. I have heard and seen the above major component referred to both as the headlamp bucket and fender extension. In my case there is also what I have been referring to as a "housing" that mostly covers up the backside of the headlamp bucket. It is this "housing" that is interfering with my ability to get to the back side of the bucket. If that piece were removable from inside the wheel well I would have easy access to the adjustment nut that is held in by two Phillips machine screws. I will attempt to take a picture inside the wheel well if possible because that of course is worth 999 words. I have a reproduction Ford chassis assembly manual as well as a couple of other restoration books I have purchased over the last couple of years and can not pinpoint what exactly this "housing" is called or what its part number is. It is not insignificant in size.

Racer defined the method/bolt locations for removing the bucket/extension and those are the locations that look to me to be holding this "housing" in place. However when I loosened a couple of these bolts this housing did not appear to be loosened from the bucket/extension. Maybe it is painted in place or maybe it is integral to the bucket/extension assembly. It sure does not look like that is the case from the picture you attached.

Thanks again,

Bret

OK Here is the best I could do for a picture. I have circled the 4 bolts I was hoping could be removed to get the housing pulled away from the bucket. The 2 on the left screw in from the front and can be accessed by opening the hood. The two on the right are self explanatory.

I have also labeled the bucket/extension and what I have called the "housing".

Thanks, Bret

Tom, You are correct, I was mis-remembering.

bcorbin,

Sorry for the mis-information. The fender extension/headlight bucket will have to come out or pulled loose from the fender anyhow. The metal blocking your access is part of the fender. Once the extension is off you may be able to change out your piece without removing the dished part holding the headlight. There are 2 bolts behind the high beam that have to be removed also.

Edited by RacerX

Thunder Kiss, I used your idea and it worked great. I bought license plate grommets from an auto parts store and I tapped them to smaller screw than the adjustment screw just to get them started.

Thanks so much.