Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Weird rattle sound coming from engine?

So the other day as some of you might know as I had another post on here about the Harmonic Balancer but the harmonic balancer came off the hub so I just replaced it today and its still making a rattle sound? Almost like theres a marble in my engine getting bounced around. The engine only had 42000 miles on it when I put it in so its fairly new its not the water pump which ive hear makes a sound like that. I'm think a stuck lifter, bent rod, loose rocker, or piston slap. Its a really hard noise to describe I would compare it to a ringing bell (the kind that they have at hotels at the counter to get someones attention kind of bell) but any other thought of what it might be or a diagnosis of it without having to take off the intake or anything?

My rockers used to come loose and make a ticking noise. Only takes 6 bolts to check...

Ive heard a loose rocker and this is way louder but the only way I could think a rocker is if the retaining nut is almost completely off because this sound is loud. I might try to take a video with audio and post it.

Well this is bull I went out side to take a video of it and it was ringing real bad but my finger was covering the mic on my phone so I went to take another video and it didnt make the noise until I got it up to around 4000 RPM and it was really light sounding? The car hardly warmed up I started it and let it run for about a minute. I dont know what the hell is going on.

I'm guessing the marble rolled out the exhaust.

Seriously, I agree with Angel: pull the valve covers and check the rockers and push rods. I had a rocker arm stud come unpressed and it caused all kinds of terrible racket when it resulted in a bent pushrod and a rocker that had come all the way off the valve. Sounded loud as hell. I'm sure there are other good reasons but this one I experienced.

Tom

Edited by foothilltom
Tom cannot spell worth a krap

Hmmm I dont know if this is the problem in your case but I recently had a engine noise that sounds similar to what your explaining. My problem turned out to be the block plate that goes in betweeen the flywheel and the block. It had warped and the flywheel bolts were clanging into it. Also did you install the load spreading ring when you put the trans in? This is another piece of advide I got at the time. If you forget the load preading ring you can end up with a cracked flywheel that will make all kinds of raquet. These things are probably longshots I just figured I might add something that nobody has mentioned yet good luck.

actually Brian is dead on IMO... a flywheel problem is about the ONLY thing I have ever heard that I would personally describe as a ringing. Not that I would rush into yanking the trans... but pull the inspection plate, turn it over by hand and check every bolt for starters.

That does make sense since it happened after the harmonic balancer came apart. As you know, the flywheel is also used to balance the crank. If it was unbalanced on one end, its possible the wheel cracked or something.

Darn... Would have been cool if I was right.

Just kidding...

Glad to hear its gone.

LOL if you were right I would of been out $150.00 for a new flywheel but thanks for the suggestions and help from everyone on here.

Next time try mystery oil for mystery noise! LOL!!!

Just kiddin,glad it went away, last time I had simular was a piston ring pin noise, loud at cold idle, then less noice atfter warm up!