Sign in to follow this  
Stanger69

Convertible Top won't go down

Need to confirm something, so I had to change the top cylinders, the pump worked fine until recent. Now the top goes up but won't go down. There are no switches made for the 69 but is it true that the mechanism is inside the pump??? If this is true, I don't need a top switch but a new pump??? Thanks guys

There's no switch in the pump per say. It is a DC electric motor driven pump however so if you power it opposite it reverses like any DC motor. The assembly has two wires in and a fixed ground. That means the ground is constant and you power one wire for it to go one direction the other for it to go the other. That being said, they can still fail internally in one direction.

It could be the switch or the pump in my eyes.

I havent seen the switches either but there are universal ones. So, I would personally pull the back seat and unplug the two power wires (one plug). Hook up a spare battery in the trunk or on the floor of the car and run a heavy wire (say 10ga) from the battery - to the same ground as the pump assembly. Run the + to one of the input wires first, then the other. If it works only in one direction then you need a pump, otherwise you need a switch or have a bad wire in the harness.

Good luck... and I do have a used Autolite OEM 1970 pump I'd let go, lmk.

There's no switch in the pump per say. It is a DC electric motor driven pump however so if you power it opposite it reverses like any DC motor. The assembly has two wires in and a fixed ground. That means the ground is constant and you power one wire for it to go one direction the other for it to go the other. That being said, they can still fail internally in one direction.

It could be the switch or the pump in my eyes.

I havent seen the switches either but there are universal ones. So, I would personally pull the back seat and unplug the two power wires (one plug). Hook up a spare battery in the trunk or on the floor of the car and run a heavy wire (say 10ga) from the battery - to the same ground as the pump assembly. Run the + to one of the input wires first, then the other. If it works only in one direction then you need a pump, otherwise you need a switch or have a bad wire in the harness.

Good luck... and I do have a used Autolite OEM 1970 pump I'd let go, lmk.

thanks that makes sense, if i need an pump i will let you know. thanks for the offer.

Fordrevhead has it correct. There are two wires from the switch to the motor. There is +12 volts in one of them for the top to go up, and 12volts in the other for it to go down. You can check this with a voltmeter, but you can also do as suggested with applying 12 volts directly to the 2 wire connector from the motor. Good luck...

Fordrevhead has it correct. There are two wires from the switch to the motor. There is +12 volts in one of them for the top to go up, and 12volts in the other for it to go down. You can check this with a voltmeter, but you can also do as suggested with applying 12 volts directly to the 2 wire connector from the motor. Good luck...

Thanks guys, i'll check it out.

the battery trick is easier by yourself and it eliminates the switch AND the wiring and determines if the pump assembly is good... which was what he was told he needed. If this proves good, then I would check voltages on the output of the switch in both modes. If this is bad it's the switch, if it's good it's the harness.