Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Transmission Quest.

Got a little problem with my trans. Auto C4. Shits fine no slippage. The issue is that i can not get it to seat in P. In fact i cannot even get it to go into P. I have to start in D and R, not that i drive in yet but for moving in and out of the garage. I took off the shifter plate to see if something was preventing it from seating into P, but found nothing. When it should be in park the little lever seats however it acts as it is reverse, and this holds true for each potion down the shift plate N is set in R and so on. Anyone got any thoughts. Additionally should it not be able to start in N, because it currently does not.

Thanks

Shits fine no slippage.

Well, at least it's regular :)

Your neutral safety switch prevents starting while in Neutral. You could certainly disconnect this switch easy enough.

I'm no expert on C4s (or anything for that matter), but this sounds like a linkage issue. If you're up for it, you can disconnect the shifter rods from your shift trunions and (using a small adj wrench) attempt to shift it into park manually. If it goes in, I'd focus on your shifter.

I'm currently 3 weeks into a top-loader rebuild so I know just enough to give bad advice. :)

Good luck.

Tom

Should be able to stat in N and not driive and reverse. May be your neural saft=ety switch - they have to be lined up correctly to work. Do you backup lights work in rev?

As fas as - Sounds like something is binding linlkage. I'd pull liinlkage off and see if you can move shift linkage into park by hand. If not will need to drop pan and see if there is anything binding it up. Will probably have to drop valve body to get to linlkage. Could time to change linkage o ring - usually were you gt you most leaks, Good luck.

Foothill, Looks like we were responding at same time. I'm also no C4 expert. Just rebuilt one myself but had to pull it out again this weekend and take it to a shop that knows what they are doing to fix some problems I m ust have caused.

BTW You can bypass NS switch by pulling plug up in engine bay area and jumping wires.

C-4 linkage is very straight forward adjustment. You should not un-hook your neutral safety switch. You do not want to accidentally start your car in gear and run someone over. Get it aligned properly and ensure your shifter is working properly. Un hook the linkage and put the transmission in park, then adjust the lingage and shifter. If the transmission won't go into park with the linkage off, the problem is likely in the transmission. If it goes in smoothly, check or rebuild the bushings in your shifter ($3part and some time)

Agree with 69Again. The shift rod is adjustable where it connects to the transmission. Loosen the bolt, put the shifter in park, tighten the bolt. This should allow the car to be started in neutral too.