Sign in to follow this  
mus69tang

Heater Core Replacement

Unfortunately, heater core replacement is not easy. You need to remove the upper and lower dash secions and take it all apart from the inside. Once you get to the box with the core in it, it also has the evaporator in it. You can seperate the top half and bottom half of this box without removing the evaporator if you are very careful. This box has spring clips that hold the top to the bottom half, and there are a few on the side next to the firewall that will be difficult to get at. It is probably a full day's job to remove it and another day to put it back in.

Maybe just plug up the lines to the heater and wear a jacket when it gets cold?

I have same setup with AC and heater core in the one box. Actually, if you just remove the glove box and fire you can wiggle it out from under the dash. I've done this a few times.

Also, reproduction heater cores are weak at the point where they solder the tubes to the main part of the core. Mine started leaking when I was pulling the hose off, the solder joint holding the copper tube came off also. I propane torch / soldered it back on and it's much stronger. Just saying you may want to preemptively do this as it could save you a teardown.