Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Side scoops on the Convertible

I am getting the convertible ready for paint and I have a question on the fancy side scoops.

-I assume you grind off "Tabs" that attach the chrome to the scoop then buy aftermarket replacements? I assume the new chrome will attach with studs and nuts?

-If you do the same to the black plate that acts as a background between the fins how do you re-attach it?

-Are the black plates supposed to be black or body color?

Thanks

Pretty sure the backing plates were flat black no matter what color the car.

Both the chrome and the back plate are attached with pot metal studs that are mashed like a rivet. So once you destroy them you have to get creative. I used JB Weld to fix a couple broken ones on mine but I've never done a full replacement requiring repair of all of them. Maybe somebody else has ...

I found that the new chrome pieces were too long so I had to smash little "fingered washer" things like a rivet onto the posts, then use my dremel tool and a cutoff wheel and grind the posts down so they would allow the scoop to fit the car.

So the answer to your question is, yes, you ground off the stud tabs and everything comes apart. Then you get the new ones with small locking washers that you smash onto the new studs to hold them in place again. Then you grind down the new stud to fit the scoop to your car.

The NOS sets I have use push nuts to attach the new molding. Push nuts are the same ones used for the heater cables on the heater box. Maybe not the same size, but hopefully you'll get the picture.