Sign in to follow this  
HuLk

69 Mustang

Hello,

I am looking at a 69 Mustang. I really do not know anything about the Mustangs. It is a 302, What do I need to look for, prior to purchasing this one? It has been owned by only 2 people. The Vehicle vin number is not visible, how do I get this?

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

The VIN is visible thru the windshield on the drivers side, on a stamped metal plate. There is also a data plate riveted to the drivers door by the latch. Copy all the info on those 2 plates and post it here and you will have more expert advice than you can shake a hood scoop at... post some pictures, too, if you can.

Sounds Good, I am going to look at it this afternoon, I will see about posting the pictures. What should I be looking for, and how much should I be paying for one? I mean, It looks good and runs well. I see on another section of this a 69 stang for sale for 3900 dollars and does not even run. The one I am looking at looks nice and runs.

and how much should I be paying for one?

Man, that's a loaded question and hard to answer. The short answer is a plain vanilla 302 coupe shouldn't command a premium price. There's another thread posted today about a Grande in Kentucky going for $2100 or so. So look for rotted floorboards & rotten shock towers, those are weak points on these cars. If it's got a 9" rear or a 4-speed toploader tranny, those are valuable. Factory A/C PS PB and stereo add value. So does good wheels, good glass, and are all the parts there (mirrors, steering wheel, etc). Again, if you can post some pictures, the guys here will put it under a microscope for you....

I agree with the above comment, what kind of 69 mustang, coupe or fastback? i'm assuming its a coupe you can get one thats decent running for the same price. fastback's/mach1's tend to run a lil more unless your getting a real deal.

welcome to the forums.

You've heard the term buyer beware? It's never been more truer than in the car hobby! A little bondo and a little paint can make a mustang what it ain't! Amazing buys and barnfinds still happen but not that often, before buying a classic car you would do well to educate yourself a little on the ins and outs. Go spend an afternoon at your local Barnes and Noble or whatever bookstore, pick out a few books on Mustangs and restorations and thumb thru them over a coffee, no need to even buy unless you find one you really like. Then you'll know a little about the makes and models and what not at least. There are way too many folks out there who think their 6cyl coupe should fetch the same price as a Boss 429 and not enough folks who think their 428CJ is just Grandpa's old grocery getter that gets bad mpg's.

Next, read this story: http://www.classicmustang.com/skip_novakovich/skip_novakovich.htm

Step 3, take a copy of the list in this link with you and go look at the car. Make notes, check every item off, take lots of pictures and report back to us. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1721

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Oh yeah, and you can just right click and "save as" on any avatar to save it just like any internet pic.

You've heard the term buyer beware? It's never been more truer than in the car hobby! A little bondo and a little paint can make a mustang what it ain't! Amazing buys and barnfinds still happen but not that often, before buying a classic car you would do well to educate yourself a little on the ins and outs. Go spend an afternoon at your local Barnes and Noble or whatever bookstore, pick out a few books on Mustangs and restorations and thumb thru them over a coffee, no need to even buy unless you find one you really like. Then you'll know a little about the makes and models and what not at least. There are way too many folks out there who think their 6cyl coupe should fetch the same price as a Boss 429 and not enough folks who think their 428CJ is just Grandpa's old grocery getter that gets bad mpg's.

Next, read this story: http://www.classicmustang.com/skip_novakovich/skip_novakovich.htm

Step 3, take a copy of the list in this link with you and go look at the car. Make notes, check every item off, take lots of pictures and report back to us. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1721

Oh yeah, and you can just right click and "save as" on any avatar to save it just like any internet pic.

no worries you can copy my avatar. :) again welcome the forums.

As above check EVERYTHING. I remember that story..so sad. Also if you know someone that does body work and/or knows mechanics i would bring them along as well. if anything don't jump on the first thing you see. there are alot of crooks out there. good luck on your search!

As above check EVERYTHING. I remember that story..so sad. Also if you know someone that does body work and/or knows mechanics i would bring them along as well. if anything don't jump on the first thing you see. there are alot of crooks out there. good luck on your search!

Hey he asked me! lol jk :ph34r:

sorry to hack your topic, but did you get your mags yet? i remember you wanting them months back.

sorry to hack your topic, but did you get your mags yet? i remember you wanting them months back.

Not yet no but getting closer. I finally found what I believe to be the best current price, still not as great as what I had worked out the last time but not much I could do about that. I'll still probably try to get a local price match once Uncle Sam sends me my money but here's where I'm at: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7603

Not yet no but getting closer. I finally found what I believe to be the best current price, still not as great as what I had worked out the last time but not much I could do about that. I'll still probably try to get a local price match once Uncle Sam sends me my money but here's where I'm at: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7603

Look at the shock towers. Are they cracked? Do they have holes cut in them to access the grease fitting for the upper ball joint?

Lift up the carpet and look for rust as previously stated. Rust in the front section of the floorboards could indicate a heater core leak and or cowl panel leak. Heater cores are a bear to replace by the way. The cowl panel hats could also be very costly to fix correctly. Look for rust bubbles around the fender lips and bottoms of the doors. Open the trunk and look at the quarter panels for bondo or signs of a hacked up repair job. Get it on a rack and look at the suspension and frame. A mechanic can be very helpful here. The vin will tell you about the original equipement. Good luck.

Look at the shock towers. Are they cracked? Do they have holes cut in them to access the grease fitting for the upper ball joint?

Lift up the carpet and look for rust as previously stated. Rust in the front section of the floorboards could indicate a heater core leak and or cowl panel leak. Heater cores are a bear to replace by the way. The cowl panel hats could also be very costly to fix correctly. Look for rust bubbles around the fender lips and bottoms of the doors. Open the trunk and look at the quarter panels for bondo or signs of a hacked up repair job. Get it on a rack and look at the suspension and frame. A mechanic can be very helpful here. The vin will tell you about the original equipement. Good luck.