Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Help Choosing a cam/lifter combo

As some of you know from previous threads I've been having some issues with my car. I think I'm going to replace the cam and lifters. But I have some questions about this.

To my knowledge my motor now has a stock setup but I've installed a Holley 600 CFM 4bbl carb. I don't want anything radical so I want to stick with a flat teppet haydraulic setup. I found a kit on Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-SK31-215-2/) that llooks like it will work. But when I look up the info on Comp Cams website it says that screw-in studs are required. With my stock heads, don't I have push-in studs? If so is there a stock-type cam and lifter kit that will work with push-in studs?

I'm looking for a good econimical sollution and don't want to go through the expense of a machine shop to install new studs. All I'm looking for is a good daily-driver with a smooth idle.

I took another look at the specs on the Comp Cam site and it appears that the reference of using with screw-in studs was if you were using specific rocker arms, so it looks like this will work with push-in studs and stock valve springs. I'm just wondering if this is a good setup for what I'm looking for. Of anyone else has recommendations.

That is a pretty small cam. IMO, I don't think it is bad, you probably will not see any performance increase, which it sounds like is not one of your goals anyway. As you probably found, you won't need to use adjustable rockers either. Is it bone stock including compression ratio and exhaust? I have read that 302s like a split duration cam (which your pick is not) to make up for poor exhast flow. With that cam, you don't want more than 9:1 compression or you will have low rpm detonation issues. If you are on a budget, I recently read an article in car craft where they made good HP on a budget 302 using a summitracing brand cam. The other thing you can do, is call the comp cams tech support line, and they will point you toward the best cam.

The 268h or even the 262h will have too much lift to run with your pressed in studs; they wont stay in long. Plus you have to match your valve springs to the cam you run; stock springs arent going to cut it. Keep your lift under .480" and you should be okay with pressed in studs. You will have to get valve springs with seat and open pressures that match your cam, though.

Never mind. Didnt look at the link. You are talking the High Energy line of cams. The .456" lift will be fine. You may want to look at the 262h cam instead depending on the other components you have. If you've got a stock intake, exhaust manifolds and a small exhaust pipe diameter you probably wont see much performance change. Sound should change slightly. Install and aftermarket intake and some headers and that will help make the cam change worth while.

Never mind. Didnt look at the link. You are talking the High Energy line of cams. The .456" lift will be fine. You may want to look at the 262h cam instead depending on the other components you have. If you've got a stock intake, exhaust manifolds and a small exhaust pipe diameter you probably wont see much performance change. Sound should change slightly. Install and aftermarket intake and some headers and that will help make the cam change worth while.

I ended up going with the 268H that Comp Cams recommended and they assured me it would be fine wiht push in studs and standard rockers, but I purchased the kit so it came with new valve springs, lifters and timing chain. As for aftermaket components I have a Holley 600 CFM 4bbl carb, Edelbrock Performer Intake, 2" dual exhaust with Series 40 Flowmasters, and billet MSD distributor. I'm not looking for a track car or radical performance. I just want a good street/daily driver. The Comp Cams rep said that this cam is a real good all around street cam. We'll see once I get it installed.