Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Steering wheel "squeaking"?

Howdy gents,

My steering wheel (for lack of any other suspect) sure seems to "squeak" when it turns. Squeaking isn't a great explanation...more of a "mewling" sound. It definitely seems to be coming right in the area of the non-stock hub that mounts to this weird steering wheel from a BMW or Porsche from the PO.

I recently replaced my turn signal switch and I really don't remember if it made the noise before. Am wondering if it could be the horn contacts on the steering wheel switch scraping up against the hub as it turns, but I really don't know.

Am wondering if anybody has any ideas. Would love to eliminate this noise.

Thanks!

Tom

Howdy gents,

My steering wheel (for lack of any other suspect) sure seems to "squeak" when it turns. Squeaking isn't a great explanation...more of a "mewling" sound. It definitely seems to be coming right in the area of the non-stock hub that mounts to this weird steering wheel from a BMW or Porsche from the PO.

I recently replaced my turn signal switch and I really don't remember if it made the noise before. Am wondering if it could be the horn contacts on the steering wheel switch scraping up against the hub as it turns, but I really don't know.

Am wondering if anybody has any ideas. Would love to eliminate this noise.

Thanks!

Tom

Thanks, Mach1. As soon as i can borrow a friend's puller, I'll give that a go. I did notice that the contact ring on this hub doesn't perfectly line up with the spring-loaded contacts for the horn on the new turn signal switch.

I noticed the PO had put some solder on the tips of the old switch -- possibly to make better contact, so it's probably the hub and not my new switch.

Are wheel hubs considered "standard" or do they differ in their horn ring configuration?

Thanks again.