Sign in to follow this  
408-stroker-stang

c4 wireing for back up switch?

I am trying to install a painless wiring kit and i am having a few pains lol

I have 2 wires that i need to wire up to my transmission to turn on my back up lights but the plug that goes into my tranny has 4 wires coming out, so i am trying to figure out what i should do? Also i have a single plug with a single wire coming out If anyone can shed some light on my situation it would be much appreciated.

thanks

I am trying to install a painless wiring kit and i am having a few pains lol

I have 2 wires that i need to wire up to my transmission to turn on my back up lights but the plug that goes into my tranny has 4 wires coming out, so i am trying to figure out what i should do? Also i have a single plug with a single wire coming out If anyone can shed some light on my situation it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Your trans switch with 4 wires is for start and backup lts.

2 wires control the starter and has contacts in P & N gear selector settings.

2 Wires have contact when selector is in rev. allowing backup lights to lite up.

Not sure what the single wire does.

Your trans switch with 4 wires is for start and backup lts.

2 wires control the starter and has contacts in P & N gear selector settings.

2 Wires have contact when selector is in rev. allowing backup lights to lite up.

Not sure what the single wire does.

I pored over my shop manuals and was quite surprised to find no mention of these connectors on the C4 tranny. The manuals talk all about the back-up lights from the perspective of the back-up lights, but not the perspective of the transmission.

My guess (which will get better when the boy's C4-equipped coupe gets home from school) is you have the following in that 4-wire cluster:

!2V (hot), Gnd, Neutral Safety Switch, Back-Up

I can't explain why your painless kit has only a 2-wire connector, but perhaps it does not include a neutral safety circuit?

Also, I can't yet explain the extra one-wire coming out. That sure sounds like some kind of ground.

I'll take a peek under the boy's coupe later on and post back unless you've solved it by then.

Tom

I pored over my shop manuals and was quite surprised to find no mention of these connectors on the C4 tranny. The manuals talk all about the back-up lights from the perspective of the back-up lights, but not the perspective of the transmission.

My guess (which will get better when the boy's C4-equipped coupe gets home from school) is you have the following in that 4-wire cluster:

!2V (hot), Gnd, Neutral Safety Switch, Back-Up

I can't explain why your painless kit has only a 2-wire connector, but perhaps it does not include a neutral safety circuit?

Also, I can't yet explain the extra one-wire coming out. That sure sounds like some kind of ground.

I'll take a peek under the boy's coupe later on and post back unless you've solved it by then.

Tom

I fail to mention it does have the neutral start switch but on the plug coming out of the trans there are 4 wires total 2 each of one color and 2 each of another color so i am just trying to figure out which side of the pig tail is for the neutral switch and witch side is for the back up switch

I fail to mention it does have the neutral start switch but on the plug coming out of the trans there are 4 wires total 2 each of one color and 2 each of another color so i am just trying to figure out which side of the pig tail is for the neutral switch and witch side is for the back up switch

If this is a 69-70 model Mustang and you are using our #20122 harness you should have 2 black/red (reverse light) wires and 2 red/blue (neutral safety) wires coming off of his neutral safety/back-up light switch. Our harness also has the same color wires you simply needs to connect the black/reds (doesn’t matter which as long our 2 blk/reds go to his 2 blk/reds) from our harness to the black/reds on your switch, and our 2 red/blues to your 2 red/blues.

If it is not a 69-70 model and you are not using harness #20122 then I'll need to know which harness you have what vehicle you are working on to get this taken care of.

Or, feel free to call our tech helpline @ 1-800-423-9696. We are here to help!

If this is a 69-70 model Mustang and you are using our #20122 harness you should have 2 black/red (reverse light) wires and 2 red/blue (neutral safety) wires coming off of his neutral safety/back-up light switch. Our harness also has the same color wires you simply needs to connect the black/reds (doesn’t matter which as long our 2 blk/reds go to his 2 blk/reds) from our harness to the black/reds on your switch, and our 2 red/blues to your 2 red/blues.

If it is not a 69-70 model and you are not using harness #20122 then I'll need to know which harness you have what vehicle you are working on to get this taken care of.

Or, feel free to call our tech helpline @ 1-800-423-9696. We are here to help!