Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

door panel removal help

I bought some new chrome outside door handles for my 69 coupe. I'm ready to try and put them on. When I take the door panel off do I have to remove the inside door handle to get the door panel off or is there enough room that it comes through a hole or something in the door panel? Never tryed this so I need help please. Thanks

No, you dont have to remove the inside door handle, I dont know if you have the deluxe door panels or the standard ones, I think it's the same procedure to remove them.

Take off all screws from the panel, then, carefully remove the panel and ( this is how I do it ) insert a large screw driver between the door and the panel, this is for removing the clips. then rotate the panel like 20 degrees AND put the inside handle down, now you can take off the complete panel.

I hope this helps you, btw it will be a little tricky to remove the outside handles if you already have your door glass installed.

Just to throw in my $.02, you'll have to remove your window roller handles as well (single screw, possibly covered by a round piece of chrome-looking plastic). If your panel has been removed a lot over the ages, it's probably held in place by more and more sheet metal screws (as opposed to the clips) so be sure to get all of them before you tug too hard. If you have door clips, do yourself a favor and locate them first before you start cranking on the panel. In my experience, the metal clip will sooner tear through the particle board of your panel before it comes out of the hole in the door if you're not applying good gentle pressure precisely at the insertion point of the clip.

And as M3rol said, you simply tilt the top of the door panel toward the inside of the car about 30 degrees and you should be able to easily "lift" the panel "up and out" from the interior door handle. Go easy here as the door cups can get easily damaged if you horse it.

I don't have experience with replacing the exterior door handles, but I'd recommend lubing the entire latch and locking mechanisms while you've got your door apart. Also, lube your window regulator and guide rods for smooth window operation. It's a great time to get that done.

Good luck!

Tom