Sign in to follow this  
7tRedMach

drop spings

OK Guys

Today a friend and I did the 1" Shelby drop, installed roller bearing perches, and added 620 1" drop springs. Still waiting on the adjustable strut rods, anyway the car sits 1/4" higher now than it did before. How much can I expect the spings to settle, and how long will it take.

Thanks, Paul

Well a Shelby drop doesn't lower the car. It's only used to increase the camber angle of the front wheels for better handling. If done properly the holes for the upper control arm are lowered 1" which makes the wheels lean inward more. It could be this inward lean that is giving the illusion that the car is sitting higher. If the wheels were completely vertical then they may appear to be closer to the fenders than they do leaning inward.

Yeah, I figured the Shelby drop wouldn't lower the car more than a 1/4" but, I was hoping the 1" drop springs would lower it some. The wheels are tilted out at the top some. Maybe after the alignment and some driving the new springs will settle some. Sorry to see what the snow did to your car, we got about 8" here on the eastern side of Richmond.

Yeah, I figured the Shelby drop wouldn't lower the car more than a 1/4" but, I was hoping the 1" drop springs would lower it some. The wheels are tilted out at the top some. Maybe after the alignment and some driving the new springs will settle some. Sorry to see what the snow did to your car, we got about 8" here on the eastern side of Richmond.

Yeah I've had a string of bad luck with this car. I swear I think it's possessed. Right now it's at a mechanic trying to get the motor running right and he's installing a complete new susspension and brakes. If he's done by Tuesday I'll be dropping it off to have a new top installed. Then the week after I'll be taking her to the body shop to get the fender fixed. It's just one thing after another.

It's possible your old springs had sagged an inch or so over the years.

The addition of the new components probably moved the car closer to where it should be.

Also, the thickness of the spring insulators can make a difference on ride ehight.