Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

OEM Steering Wheel Hub removal - Argh.

Gents, am trying to get my steering wheel hub off so that I can get at my dreaded turn signal switch (time to tackle that!). The wheel/hub is not stock...it says "Raid Turbo" on the wheel and mounts to a "hub" with 6 allen bolts.

The wheel comes off easy enough, but the hub is on there good and tight.

I've removed the large 15/16" nut from the stud and couldn't budge the hub off. Obviously some kind of puller is required here, but my "duck's foot" puller didn't seem to fit the bill at all as the only place to attach it is using those 6 small holes for the allen screws.

A picture would be smart here, but I'm hoping folks can follow it. In other words, it doesn't have the 3 large holes to thread bolts into.

Is there some kind of "special" puller for this? Just found a picture of my wheel online. It looks a lot like this:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads6/IMG_41341136393224.jpg

Looks like it came off a Beamer or a Porsche...hm. The "hub" has this same pattern and the main mounting stud is about 2" down inside.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

When you say "Ducks foot" puller, do you mean a typical steering wheel puller like this?

4168E001W4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm having Dejavue like we have had this conversation before and you didn't want to buy a one time use only item like this and that your puller is just a universal one, which makes this job a lot harder than it has to be. These are only $10 but you can actually rent one for free at Autozone. Considering yours insn't so local though a round trip might cost more intime and gas than buying it, especially when it includes a night of bowling with the wife.

If neither of the 3 bolt sizes that come with it are correct you can always just buy two bolts the same length that do, I suggest taking one of the Allen's with you to match up and confirm while you are out just in case.

Hey Pak, you recall correctly...I wound up buying a "universal" puller at Napa Auto before you informed me of the ability to rent tools like this. My puller is a bit different from the one pictured...it has a 3-prong shaped head and the threaded bolt.

Thanks to your post, I just realized I could just match up longer versions of my tiny hex screws and try to align my existing puller to those holes. I was stuck on the notion of using larger bolts (like I used to remove my boy's wheel) some time ago. I haven't gone back out there, but I'm guessing my universal puller might be able to line up 2 if not 3 holes on this 6-hole config.

Even more ironic, I spent about 90 minutes looking for my damned puller last night. About a year ago, I "re-organized" my garage. Ever do that? I managed to re-org that tool into the nether regions thinking I'd mever use it again.

Anyway, I think I can do this now. That 6-holed hub just threw me last night. Too frustrated after the search, I suppose.

Tom

I spent about 90 minutes looking for my damned puller last night. About a year ago, I "re-organized" my garage. Ever do that? I managed to re-org that tool into the nether regions thinking I'd mever use it again.

LOL, oh yeah, been there, done that, every spring in fact. I spend so little time in the garage in the winter that all my tools usually end up on the bench so my first task each thaw is to re-org which usually means forgetting where I always think the logical place to put stuff is. I never seem to have the problem when the tools are just laying about in clutter though.