Sign in to follow this  
novi331

T5 Conversion

I have read all the search pages, and just want to be sure I have everything to swap from auto to manual. I am also doing a power drum to power disc brake swap in the from from drums, but that is another thread!

T5

T5 crossmember

T5 Bellhousing

28oz flywheel

Cobra clutch kit

Pilot bearing

Modern Driving clutch pedal

Modern Driveline clutch cable kit

Does that cover it? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

5.0 Block Plate , T5 or c4 tranny mount, I believe clutch set has to clear t5 bellhousing so I am going with CenterForce DF021048 10.5" 10spline 1 1/16 input shaft, t5yoke, t5 shifter. Pressure plate bolts with 3 dowel pins to avoid clutch chatter. I am gathering the parts my self for the t5 conversion. I am almost there. I am considering going with a clutch cable set up too.Hopefully by June I'll get it running.

Thats great! Are you converting from auto to T5? My car is at the body shop, and we are going to pull the engine to detail the engine bay. So what better time to convert to 5 speed from auto and do the brakes. I have power drums, and will be converting to discs on the front. Good lord, is there a lot of work, but the finished product will be my dream car! (if I ever finish)!

I look forward to watching this thread, I am too am assembling the components for doing a C6 to a T5 swap. I was able to get my hands on a upgraded T5 for decent $, now the other parts need to come. Question on the flywheel. I have a 390 stock engine - what type of engine are you doing your conversion with?

Buening,

Can you elaborate on the differences between "stock" T5 vs "non-stock". I ask because I put a new T5 bought from Ford Racing in my 69 (351W 4bl) about 2 years ago now and have heard the comments that the T5 is not a very robust transmission. I use my car as a cruiser not a racer FYI.

Is there a difference between the old T5's and the T5's available from Ford Racing today? When looking for a T5 I seem to remember the term World Class being tossed around by Ford racing.

Any education from any of you is appreciated and pardon my ignorance.

Sounds like you may have the T5Z if it is aftermarket Ford. They are typically rated around at 330hp. Torque ratings make more sense for a transmission, but thats all I could find. There are other aftermarket T5 like the Astro or the G-Force which claims higher ratings but you have to shell out a ton of money for what you are getting. You will likely have a case failure before you break any of the internals on those modified T5. A TKO500/600 will get you higher strength for less money typically.

There are numerous ford factory T5 and they all have different ratings depending on what motor they were behind and what year the car came from. Then there is the World Class T5 and a non-World Class T5.

This link may help some: http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

I have a good feeling that a blown 331 will have much more than a stock T5 or even the T5z can handle unless you have skinny tires out back to limit your traction.

Thanks for the Modern Driveline link. Great information there.

I do have the T5Z or Ford Racing P/N M-7003-Z. Its interesting that Modern Driveline and Ford Racing have different torque specs.

The bottom line in my case is that the T5 should be fine.

Are you really going to run a blowered 331 like your signiture suggests ? If that is the case, the T5 won't make it. The fox body guys can make shrapnel out of the best of the best of the best of T5s with a stock 302. I wouldn't even consider using the T5 behind anything other than a mild 302 in a cruiser. For racing, forget the T5, third gear will pop. LSG