Sign in to follow this  
Dro69

Stang not Starting!?

this morning i tried to turn the car on and..i turned the key and just a click nothing else. didnt turn on. i think it might be the starter.but then again who knows.. anybody know what it might be?

Sounds like the battery is dead.

Are the idiot lights toggling on when you put the key to ACC? Check the battery, if it has over 10.5 Volts like the previous post said then you should move to the starter solenoid.

Mine went bad a few years ago and it would only work if I whacked it with a wrench or something. :shifty:

They are pretty cheap, $18 on http://www.rockauto.com

Check your grounds on the engine and battery too, if they are oxidized that could cause a "no start" condition also.

Good luck!

(In other words, make sure the selector is in Park). If that doesn't change things, start with the simplest stuff:

* Verify a good, solid terminal connection. If your car is "in progress" like most of ours, you routinely disconnect the battery. A poor connection can explain a "no crank" situation.

* Check your battery Voltage as rwcstang suggested. In my experience, a battery starts to show signs of decline (slow cranking), but a good cold night or leaving some accessory on for hours could kill it outright. A simple test would be to just jump it. If she starts, your battery needs recharging or replacing.

* If jumping doesn't work, you can suspect your starter motor. A simple test here is to connect a jumper cable from your POS lead of your battery to your starter (be careful) to see if the starter cranks. If it just sparks and no turn, you may have a bad starter.

* If your starter turns with the above, you can start to suspect voltage regulator, ignition switch, starter solenoid, etc. But this starts to get more complex.

Start simple, avoid buying/replacing stuff in a shotgun approach as much as you just want to get her running. You'll learn more thru diagnosis for next time.

Happy t-giving all.

Tom

Sounds like the battery is dead.

Are the idiot lights toggling on when you put the key to ACC? Check the battery, if it has over 10.5 Volts like the previous post said then you should move to the starter solenoid.

Mine went bad a few years ago and it would only work if I whacked it with a wrench or something. :shifty:

They are pretty cheap, $18 on www.rockauto.com

Check your grounds on the engine and battery too, if they are oxidized that could cause a "no start" condition also.

Good luck!

(In other words, make sure the selector is in Park). If that doesn't change things, start with the simplest stuff:

* Verify a good, solid terminal connection. If your car is "in progress" like most of ours, you routinely disconnect the battery. A poor connection can explain a "no crank" situation.

* Check your battery Voltage as rwcstang suggested. In my experience, a battery starts to show signs of decline (slow cranking), but a good cold night or leaving some accessory on for hours could kill it outright. A simple test would be to just jump it. If she starts, your battery needs recharging or replacing.

* If jumping doesn't work, you can suspect your starter motor. A simple test here is to connect a jumper cable from your POS lead of your battery to your starter (be careful) to see if the starter cranks. If it just sparks and no turn, you may have a bad starter.

* If your starter turns with the above, you can start to suspect voltage regulator, ignition switch, starter solenoid, etc. But this starts to get more complex.

Start simple, avoid buying/replacing stuff in a shotgun approach as much as you just want to get her running. You'll learn more thru diagnosis for next time.

Happy t-giving all.

Tom

Thx to all ive found out it was the positive battery cable