Sign in to follow this  
dmac

Tko 600/500

Have any of you put a TKO500/600 into one of your mustangs?

I read on their website that its a straight forward install, like the same driveshaft, same clutch, etc.

They sell the trans with a stepped down input shaft for the flywheel that is the same length, bolt pattern and spline count as the 4 spd toploader.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/5_speed.html <--- a quick google search comes up with several sites that list an early ford configuration.

To me if it is a relatively easy install, it makes more sense to put a TKO in an older mustang than to screw around trying to get a T-5 out of a foxbody into one. The cost is under $2500, which again, seems to me to be better than the T-5 conversions I have seen for 3 grand and up.

What do you guys think? are there hidden complications, costs, etc that I am overlooking?

Heres some fine print...

No I haven't extensively searched the entire forum to see if this question was asked before, and frankly I want a new perspective anyway! :double fuck:

I have the tko 600 in mine and used www.moderndriveline.com mine was a auto first so needed some extra stuff, but it fits with very little mods, I think we ground out some of the shifter hole on the back side but it was very minimum, it also depends on your horse power which one you would need the 5 or 6 but call those guys up they are very knowlegeable and just came out with a hydrolic setup for our cars he said I was the first to get a production one and wants feed back on the install, good luck

Cool, Im pretty sure a 500 will be overkill for my engine. Your talking a Hydraulic clutch setup? If you have any pictures of the install or the shifter location I would really like to see them.

hehe i have a new moderndriveline hydraulic setup also....:tongue_smilie:

I have the tko 600 in mine and used www.moderndriveline.com mine was a auto first so needed some extra stuff, but it fits with very little mods, I think we ground out some of the shifter hole on the back side but it was very minimum, it also depends on your horse power which one you would need the 5 or 6 but call those guys up they are very knowlegeable and just came out with a hydrolic setup for our cars he said I was the first to get a production one and wants feed back on the install, good luck

you can see in the build section my pics, one has the location of the original hole for the auto trans we took out very little from the back side (towards the rear of car) like 1/2 inch give or take. I dont have the cluch setup on mine yet the trans is in with the motor but havent gotten that far so dont have pics of that yet maybe stangme does

stangme I bet he told you the same thing you are the first to have it ha, let me know how yours comes out if you have it up and going before i do!!

I have the TKO600 with hydraulic clutch setup from Keisler. Very stout tranny and it's like shifting a new car....

If you have a higher revving engine or like to put it into 5th while driving the speed limit, look at the .82 final gear offering. I went with the .68 5th gear and even with 3.90 rear gears it lumbers along a 2k doing 70mph. That's a little low in the rpms for my engine.

Look into a good bellhousing that has access. Attaching the hydraulic cable was a bitch.... Literally took hours of patience and plenty of cussing to get that bastard in and tight. I have a Lakewood housing.

Edited by coz

some pics in post 72 and 73 of my build .... here is a link showing a short video...

http://www.crabbnet.com/69build/cantilever_roller.MOV

i dont have my lines connected to the trans yet.. trans is connected to a test block to try and align things... but gonna try again after the holliday with the correct motor ... the clutch master cylinder is installed along with the cantliver setup on the new clutch pedal and brake pedal. i too went from an automatic (FMX) to a manual T56.

it does look like i need to remove a little metal just before the top of the shifter opening. we shall see.....:tongue_smilie:

:biggrin:

you can see in the build section my pics, one has the location of the original hole for the auto trans we took out very little from the back side (towards the rear of car) like 1/2 inch give or take. I dont have the cluch setup on mine yet the trans is in with the motor but havent gotten that far so dont have pics of that yet maybe stangme does

stangme I bet he told you the same thing you are the first to have it ha, let me know how yours comes out if you have it up and going before i do!!

dmac, You should check out the gear vendors website. With their overdrive, you have 8-speeds, 1st. 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 and so on. Just read up on them and you might change your mind, it did mine. I'm putting one in over the winter. If it is strong enuff to be used in 2000 HP. dragsters it strong enuff for whatever I put in front of it. You don't see TKO 500/600 behind that much HP.

Just my 2c.