Sign in to follow this  
DRASTiK

Sound Deadening vs. Insulation

I've seen a few threads mentioning sound deadening and insulating materials. I'm trying to decide what to do with the bare floorpans and trunk in my coupe. Since the care is stripped down to a bare rolling chassis, I'm working to get the sheetmetal repaired and protected before I move on to anything else (currently I'm replacing both quarter skins). I plan to prime and paint the floor before the carpet goes in and I definitely want to apply some sort of sound deadening material (not sure what kind). Should I be concerned with insulating material as well?

What products have you been successful with and what do you recommend I stay away from?

I've spent some time searching other threads, but still find myself unsure about what I should do as there appear to be many different opinions. I appreciate any opinions anyone can provide. Thanks in advance.

How much should be used? One site i saw said only 10% of the area needs to be covered for road noise to be reduced. That seems a little low, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

I used Summit Racing's Hush mat insulation. It's a little cheaper than Dynamat. I put it on the inner firewall, front floorboards and over the mufflers in the back. I installed a/c, so I wanted to keep the heat away. It seems to work alot better than the factory insulation.

Have you considered a product like lizardskin. It's a paint with micropheres mixed in. I believe it both insulates and sound deadens. Very expensive. Evidently you can buy he micropheres themselves and you can mixed them with any kind of paint you want. Much cheaper. I was considering mixing with an encapsulater like Por15. There would be less adheasion issuse and the thicker you put it on the more it insulates. I saw it on a neighbor's car. It certainly removed the tin sound out of then panels, etc.

How much should be used? One site i saw said only 10% of the area needs to be covered for road noise to be reduced. That seems a little low, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

As much as you can. All the ones I've seen have pretty much covered all the tin including beneath the rear seat. As much as you can. I also have A/C and this should also help with that.