Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

POR 15 question

POR- 15 to solve roof problem. all -- i would like your opinion on using POR 15 trunk repair kit on the roof of my 69 coupe project - after removing the factory vinyl top - i have rust holes. i have used POR 15 and POR putty before on other items and have seen it replace a badly rusted out 68 camaro trunk.. but i want other opinions. i have had no luck finding a replacement skin or donor skin within 200 miles. cant chop up a fastback skin and use it on a coupe can ya?

I'm no rust expert at all but on the little spots I've delt with I sandblast it to bare metal and put Wurth on it, I think that's just a more expensive POR 15.

I wouldn't trust anything to cure rust myself other than bare metal or new metal, but under a vinyl roof you aren't going to be in as much trouble as if it was under a high dollar paint job so it isn't as big of risk.

i'm not a fan of por-15. especially just putting it over rust. save that type of repair for a sorry show like pimp my ride.

it looks like you have an interest in your car. just fix it right, be done with it and be proud of your effort.

is it so far gone that it's not salvageable? i couldn't tell the extent of the damage from your pictures. are you going to put a vinyl roof back on?

if you can save it, then you have to get all that rust out. either media blasting (if your car is a shell) or sanding it down and getting the pits out with the appropriate acid. then cut out the bad and weld in the patches where needed.

just hope there is never any condensation under the vinyl - which is what caused it to rust the first time I bet...

cut and patch. I wouldn't take a chance with POR-15 under vinyl....... If I can see it such a seat frames, underbody etc. and get to it before anything else occurs - thats a different story.

have seen it replace a badly rusted out 68 camaro trunk.. quote]

huh? really? :surrender: It's just an encapsulator. The theory is no air, no moisture, no further rusting. It doesn't "convert." There's no magic and it certainly doesn't structurally repair anything.

have seen it replace a badly rusted out 68 camaro trunk.. quote]

huh? really? :surrender: It's just an encapsulator. The theory is no air, no moisture, no further rusting. It doesn't "convert." There's no magic and it certainly doesn't structurally repair anything.

they have a POR-15 kit that comes with the matte like fiberglass matting. a friend used it on a couple of holes in his camaro - looked like a fiberglass repair for the most part.

thanks for the input from everyone--

NO vinyl roof is going back on .. it did last for 40 years but not again.

im looking for a donor roof to replace the metal. plus i still need to talk to the body shop.:biggrin:

i'm not a fan of por-15. especially just putting it over rust. save that type of repair for a sorry show like pimp my ride.

it looks like you have an interest in your car. just fix it right, be done with it and be proud of your effort.

is it so far gone that it's not salvageable? i couldn't tell the extent of the damage from your pictures. are you going to put a vinyl roof back on?

if you can save it, then you have to get all that rust out. either media blasting (if your car is a shell) or sanding it down and getting the pits out with the appropriate acid. then cut out the bad and weld in the patches where needed.