Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Functional Hood Scoop?

I've heard, been told, and read that the pie cuts are how the factory did it. Over the years owners cut out the + shape assuming it impeded air flow.

Thank you for your reply. Fascinating stuff. It seems too much of a coincidence to see this identical cut out in so many mach 1's (and now other 1969 Fords) not to suspect that it may be a factory thing.

Maybe it was done only at one of the plants (my car is a San Jose product)? Still much more to find out.

Thanks again,

T.

Bingo - there it is again. The plot thickens.

Is your Torino from the San Jose plant?

Thanks for posting the picture!!

Cheers,

T.

Pretty certain yes. Here is a picture of mine. Again, this is a 302 GT car.

hood%20cutout-2.jpg

Bingo - there it is again. The plot thickens.

Is your Torino from the San Jose plant?

Thanks for posting the picture!!

Cheers,

T.

I assume it is, since my parents bought it new here in the SF bay area.

I can double check if needed.

I assume it is, since my parents bought it new here in the SF bay area.

I can double check if needed.

Excellent. So perhaps something only done at the San Jose plant. Please do check your VIN to start with “ 9R “

Also, if you can confirm production date. This may well be something done only with the earlier cars.

Cheers,

T.

My Mach 1 was build in November '68 in San Jose and it does not have the cut outs.

There must have been a run of hoods made with the intention of a functional scop that never happened or something along those lines.

Mine is several weeks earlier - October 18.

Yes, it's plausible that a run of hoods was made with this intention. Although, again, it seems a wee bit half baked as a serious factory attempt at functionality. As has been stated, it seems to fit better as being a piston head project. But the evidence is building that this is indeed a factory thing. Looking forward to digging into this further.

Cheers,

T.

Wow Tony, you really ran with this thread! :)

If i can get back on topic for a second, I'm curious as to something S Code said.

Why couldn't the pie cutout with the scoop be a functional ram air? If you created a filter housing that was open on the top and large enough to seal to the hood and house a smaller filter inside (to cover the top of the carb, like a conical filter), wouldn't that grab fresh air in from the scoop and direct it into the carb (as well as seal out hot engine compartment air) just like the shaker hoods?

There is no reason you couldn't fabricate something, but the same could be said for any car if function was the only thing that mattered.

In reality the horsepower gained by it wouldn't be noticable so myself I just can't see the logic in going to much effort.

Wow Tony, you really ran with this thread! :)

If i can get back on topic for a second, I'm curious as to something S Code said.

Why couldn't the pie cutout with the scoop be a functional ram air? If you created a filter housing that was open on the top and large enough to seal to the hood and house a smaller filter inside (to cover the top of the carb, like a conical filter), wouldn't that grab fresh air in from the scoop and direct it into the carb (as well as seal out hot engine compartment air) just like the shaker hoods?

It would work to a point. The factory had a a gasket to seal the air filter to the hood. The problem lies in the fact there is not a whole lot of air pressure at that point in the car. That's why the cowl vents are in front of the windshield and later hoods were based on cowl side induction. There's a lot of air pressure at the base of the windshield. From what I understand a better setup would tap into the firewall and draw it's cold air from the factory cowl vents. Chevy did it in a few 67 Z-28 cars. http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0909_1967_chevrolet_camaro/photo_13.html

I have seen some nice custom setups and a few factory. Here's a Hemi with one http://images.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/113_0311_10z+1964_plymouth_petty+engine_view.jpg.

In short it would work but there are better methods of getting more cold air into the engine. But just driving one of these cars and looking over the hoodscoop, even non functional, puts a little more hair on your balls.

Haha! I was just busting on you Tony!

S Code - I see your point, i guess i was just thinking of a way to get cool air into the intake without building a cold air intake with pipes all over the engine compartment into the fender (less about a ram air effect). I know there's gains to be had just by stopping the air cleaner from sucking in that hot engine compartment air. How much i don't know, but i remember putting cold air intakes on my old Fox Body Stangs and it really improving the seat of the pants feel of the car.

RestoRod - Man that's an great concept! I'm interested in exploring that further. Seems like the air pressure (Ram Air effect) would be much better and the stream of cool air as well.

Anyone know if the cowl area above the Strut Brace is a structural part of the car? Meaning, If i cut an opening through there to draft air to the air cleaner (like the Camaro's in the picture), i wouldn't lose any structural rigidity?

Just reading this thread for the first time. A stock Mach hood (69 or 70) with the scoop will have two rectangular cutout in the back (oversized for routing of the turn signal wiring. Non mach hoods can be spotted because people just drill the holes and add the scoop. Aftermarket they can be purchased both ways.

From the sounds of the "plus" cutouts that people indicate (which I dont recall ever seeing), I would bet people just cut two similar cutouts forward of this.

And with careful layout, a steady hand, a good cut off tool, some patience with a file, and primer and paint you can make a scoop cutout look factory.

On the other hand, you can make arguments all day regarding pressure differentials, turbulence, etc regarding air under the car, through the radiator, through the scoops, etc. Hence the cowl induction hood.

Just reading this thread for the first time. A stock Mach hood (69 or 70) with the scoop will have two rectangular cutout in the back . . .

Actually oval shaped. These were manually cut in at the factory (at least on early 69 mach 1 hoods) using hole saws at each end of the opening and a cut off tool to create the opening.

From the sounds of the "plus" cutouts that people indicate (which I dont recall ever seeing), I would bet people just cut two similar cutouts forward of this.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to wager my money quite yet. As you can see from the earlier posts there is compelling evidence mounting that these may just be factory cut outs. Although circumstantial, it’s difficult to disregard. I hope to have more info on this before long.

Regards,

Tony

My Torino's cutouts are factory, no doubt about it. My parents bought it new and I had no idea until i removed the under hood insulation.

The holes are factory. Of course someone could easily do it themselves.

You have rock solid provenance, and this bolsters the case for this indeed being a factory mod. Interesting that your hood was insulated, which begs the question of why the cut outs were even added in the first place. As mentioned, in my case I was told that my mach1 was bone stock when purchased by the previous owner, who said he did not add the cut outs. I have no reason to doubt him in the least.

More to come . . .

Regards,

T.

Actually oval shaped. These were manually cut in at the factory (at least on early 69 mach 1 hoods) using hole saws at each end of the opening and a cut off tool to create the opening.

My memory was picturing rectangularish with rounded corners. I have a rusty one in the attic that I have saved to copy the pattern.

My memory was picturing rectangularish with rounded corners. I have a rusty one in the attic that I have saved to copy the pattern.

Here’s what the ones on my early production mach1 hood look like. Perhaps on later hoods later they changed to machine stamping them, rather than what appears here to be a manual process.

Regards,

T.