Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Engine opinions

For my 69 Coupe which originally came with a 302 I am trying to decide do I go with a crate engine 351 stroker, or stay with the original 302 v& use a tfs-k514-360-350 trick flow 360hp twisted wedge top engine kit & then just rebuild the bottom end. What do you all think?. The car will be used as a weekend cruzier. It will be a 5 speed stick with 3.55 rear gears.

Mike,

I think a 289/302 is appropriate for the '65-66, maybe even '67-68. With our heavier cars, you can get a decent weight distribution with an aluminum head and intake on a 351. I'd take a serious look at these guys:

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=options&pcsci=8

not very custom, but they seem like a very good value for the money. There's also a forged crank/rod/pistons model available from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BPF4080CTC/

but I'm getting my OEM block rebuilt by a local builder.

What is the ratio for 5th gear in your transmission? What size tires are you planning on the rear and do you have a limited slip differential? Do you have the 302 block?

I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM top end package on my 69 Coupe 302 with C-4 and 3.55 gears, tires are 26" tall. Has way more power than needed and at 60 miles per hour the engine is turning 3000rpm's. Kind of high for very long trips. Great for around town. With this much power, I could probably go back to the 3.00 gears and still have plenty of go out of the hole. Otherwise an overdrive would be great.

I've got a .64 final gear and 3.25 gears, TrueTrac rear. I can hardly break the tires loose with the original tired 302, but that's out and getting built right now by a local performance shop. Should be 370-400 when it's done. 275/40/17 rear rubber, but I could use stickier tires when I get the power. Battery will be in the trunk and I'll have some weight on those rear tires with a full tank. Might even do one of those tank armor plates to seal off the tank area and/or a rear-seat-to-trunk seal. Weight in the back ain't a bad thing to get a more neutral handling car . . .

I don't have a tach so I can't tell you what it's turning at 60-70, but I'm sure I'll get decent mileage with a fuel injected 331 and a .64 final gear and 3.25. I'll try to post full details when everything gets done . . .

Your .64 final gear will be really nice. With 3.55's and 26.7" tall rear tires, your rpm's at 70 should be around 2k. What stall coverter are you going to put in? How does your True Trac work. Any noise on turns? I am thinking about installing the TrueTrac or a the Powertrax. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dan

ah, sorry, I didn't mention it and it's not in my sig. I have a TKO600 5-speed manual. I assumed when we were talking 5 speed you would assume it's a manual trans. No issues at all on turns. I like the Torsen style differentials, which is what the TrueTrac is. There were some issues with early TrueTracs and bolts shearing off, but they've pretty much been solved. You shouldn't get any of the locker-style noise with a TrueTrac. Only disadvantage is that if one wheel is up in the air it turns into an open diff until you land. The TrueTrac is a little better for road racing and street use than a locker, which would be better for the drags. Check out CornerCarvers.com for some info on the TrueTrac and other Torsen style diffs, but DON'T post there until you are very confident you are asking a smart question. Very confident. :)

I can't say yet how it responds to power, since I was lucky if my tired old 302 was making 150, but it will soon be making more than twice that . . . so I'll let you know. ;)

I have a TKO600 and believe me they can take the abuse and HP. The rear is a 9" Moser 31 spline with 3.89 gears and Trutrac. This combo is very tough and can handle 600hp and more torque than I currently have. I also have 275/60/15 MT ET Drag Radials on rear and I can bust them loose anytime.

Mike65 - I'd look at the 331 FRRP engine or the new Boss 302 offerings. Either would be a fine addition and get you north of 400hp. If you want to go up to a 5.8l I'd look at stroker kits for either 393 or 408ci. That will get you north of 500hp easily.

A quick comment on the .64 final gear... If I did it again I would have choosen the .82 offering instead. For me to shift into 5th I have to be doing at least 70mph or else I lumber and buck at around 2k rpm.

Edited by coz