Sign in to follow this  
69RestoRod

One Piece rubber oilpan gasket

I am putting together an engine for my 73 mustang. I'm using all the parts I've got sitting around as this is one of those maddening "Budget Builds". I've got a little bit of everything laying around so I'm using what I have. Years ago a neighbor gave me a box of gaskets he had laying around cause he had sold his projects. There are 2 one piece rubber oil pan gaskets. I've heard they'll leak or they won't leak. Someone mentioned the oil pan rail being part of the problem. I went and checked mine out and found between 3 oil pans I had 3 different rail patterns.

This is the chrome Ford Motorsport oil pan I planned on using. Has two side by side line indentions

IMG_5163.jpg

This is the chrome cheapo a PO put on my 69. Has solid open indentions

IMG_5166.jpg

This is the pan from a 78 351W oilpan. It's flat.

IMG_5167.jpg

Here's the gasket I am consider using

IMG_5161.jpg

Looking at everything it looks like the gasket was meant to work on the Motorsport pan. The slight ridges the gasket has fit right between the indentions. Seems like it's what oil pan rail do you have over what year motor.

As luck would have it I found a cork gasket set while pulling out my pans to take these pics. I'll use that when the cheapo pan goes on an engine.

I use a thick bead of silicone for my pan gasket (Saw it as an old trick in a hot rod magazine).

Works great! No stupid cork or rubber gaskets to slip/squeeze out and never needs re-tightening! All the ford/aftermarket pan gaskets are crap.

I used the Fel-pro one piece oil pan gasket paid like 39.00. Still had a small leak from oil pan. When i took the oil pan off, the gasket had a crack or tear right in the corner back hump area where it tucks in. When installing I was extra careful not to over tighten. I think next time I will try the thick bead of silicone. Good idea. I know the bead of silicone works on the intake front and back ends with no leaks for me.

I would use a bit of sealer in the corners where the hump meets the rail, cork or rubber. Also make sure you flatten the pan rail if the bolt hos are warped from someone over tightening them. The rubber gaskets usually have reinforcing rings to keep the gasket from squishing out when tightened.

Mike

I used a one piece oil pan gasket from fel pro. It leaked from the back of the oil pan. I found that it did not fit in the grooves like it was supposed to. I cut the curved ends off the one piece and purchased a fel pro multi piece gasket set. I used the front and back rubber pieces and used the sides from the one piece. Then used gasket sealer to seal the pieces together. I waited one hour for the sealer to dry and installed the oil pan. The nice thing about the felpro one piece is that the sides have the torque stops so the gasket cannot be over torqued. This has been on the motor for two years now and still no leaks.