Sign in to follow this  
J's69Mach1

T5 bellhousing what flywheel do I need?

I am trying to gather parts for my conversion from a 4 speed top loader to a T5 using the T5 bellhousing. I have a 69 mach 351w. My question is which flywheel do I need? 28 oz ?157 teeth? My harmonic balancer is a pioneer 28.2 oz imbalance. And I am assuming I will be using the 10 1/2" clutch set up for a 5.0.:helpsmilie:Thanks Jaime

I used a 52 oz....machinist said he could get a better balance with it. Since I hadn't purchased a flywheel or damper, it didn't really matter much to me. I figure balancing for 28 or 52 will take about the same amount of labor/shop time, it was a mute issue, especially since I was not buying from him anyway (he knew this going in), I don't think he had any reason to lie to me.

More rotating mass of the 52oz MIGHT equal slightly less HP/Trq, but considering my combo, I'm going to have enough trouble planting it as it is. IMHO, whatever you might loose is negligible anyway, but I digress...

You need a 28 oz. flywheel (157 tooth) because your motor is balanced at 28 oz.

The older 28 oz flywheels run a 10" clutch. You can find'em in 84 and earlier mustangs/F150s.

The t5's out of the 85 and up 5.0's used a 50 oz. 157 tooth flywheels and run a 10.5" clutch.

If you try to use a 50 oz. flywheel with a 28 oz balanced motor you will DESTROY the engine.

The older 28 oz. flywheel is what you need with a 10" clutch. You can buy a fancy new 28 oz flywheel that will allow you to run the 10.5" clutch, but they run upwards of $300+ dollars.

Here is the flywheel I purchased when I did the T5 coversion in my car. Works great with a T5 bellhousing and a 69 model (28oz) 302 or will work fine with your 351W.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/302-351-28-28OZ-STROKER-FORD-SFI-Billet-Flywheel-TMD_W0QQitemZ170387368327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27abe0e987&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.

It is a very nice flywheel for the price, it works perfect, and you can bolt on the diaphram style pressure plate and 10.5 inch 87-93 Mustang 5.0 clutch. Makes it real simple and can save you a few bucks if you don't need a real heavy duty clutch. Just go to a local parts store and buy a clutch kit for a 87 Mustang 5.0. If you do want a better clutch than a stock replacement, just pick one of the many available street/strip clutch kits for the same 87 up Stang. That's exactly what I plan to do when I get my 347 built. I'm getting a Centerforce kit and keeping the same flywheel.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Yes I used a cable and it was my own brand. I made all the coversion parts myself using a cable for a 79 Mustang. If you want to avoid messing with a new flywheel/clutch and making a cable work, just get one of the adapter plates that bolts a T5 to your toploader bell. Mine was a automatic before so I had to start from scratch.

Edited by SlimeGold 69