Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

351W history?

i bought my dream car a 1969 mustang mach 1... minus the engine. I found a 1969 351w out of a 69 cougar (for $175 complete and running). But have been reading alot about different years 351w have different DECK HEIGHTS! does anyone know the history of these engines, what years have what etc.

Ryan

make sure you tell whomever your dealing with you have a early date code C9 block due to the 9.480" deck height. in my search for stroker kits, most stroker kits are for the D4AE-DA 74 and up 9.503 deck height.:biggrin:

c9oe-b..........351w ci, litre 5.8 year 1969 bore 4.00 deck height 9.480

d4ae-da..351w ci, year 1974 bore 4.00 deck height 9.503

d4ae-aa..351w ci, year 1974 bore 4.00 deck height 9.503

get the 9.5" manifold. They probably distinguish mainly because there are 9.2" deck blocks out there.

you probably won't have to mill the intake, depending on what you are doing. for an intake it's the same as milling some material off the head. i doubt people machined out the intake everytime they cleaned up the surface of the head.

if you are building a high hp motor you would probably port match the intake to heads anyways thus maybe machining to lower the intake down. i would guess an out of the box intake isn't going to align to the intake head port down to 0.020" anyways.

just my opinion.