Sign in to follow this  
ForceFed70

Brake upgrade options for a factory disc '70

Most of the kits I've seen out there are for factory front drum cars.

What options are out there for a factory disc car? I understand that the 69/70 disc brake spindles are a better design so it seems a shame to have to swap to drum brake spindles.

I'd want to upgrade rear 9" drum to disc and go with larger disc brakes in the front.

- I'm running 18" wheels so clearance won't be an issue

- Have welder and am willing to use, but would prefer to keep things simple.

- trying to keep the cost down.

- This is a street car, I don't need some crazy race brakes just want a nice upgrade from what I've got now.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

sounds great but is there a typo? The red I highlighted below seems to contradict itself, WHich is it?

btw, the red anniversary addition cobra calipers are on sale right now

http://www.buyfordracing.com/

13" Cobra bracket kit for 1965-73 Ford Mustangs, Falcons and other Fords that used the same spindles.

This kit enables you to install SN95 Cobra ('94-'04) 13" rotors and calipers onto your stock '68-'73 Mustang DISK or '75-'80 Granada spindles. Spindle removal or alignment is not required. Track width is not affected. Please read the 'How To' below as a guide to what wheels will fit this conversion.

Click here for an in depth 'How To' on what wheels will work with this conversion

View an install article HERE

Kit Features:

• CAD designed, CNC milled 6061-T6 aluminum custom brackets bolt directly to '68-'73 Mustang DISK or '75-'80 Granada spindles*.
  • 2 x Custom made hub-centric adapter shims take up the gap between the hub snout and rotor hub hole. This makes the rotor truly hub-centric.
  • Grade 8 & 10.9 mounting hardware to mount the brackets to the spindles and the caliper anchors to the brackets.

*Granada spindles top mounting hole in stock form has a step from 9/16" to 1/2" part way through. This must be drilled all the way through to 9/16" to use this kit on Granada spindles only. Mustang disk spindles are already 9/16" all the way through and require NO modifications.

What you need: - Any of these parts can be supplied by Street or Track if you can't find anything listed below. Contact us for pricing.

• '65-'73 V8 OE Mustang DRUM hubs.
  • SN95 1994-2004 13" Cobra front LH & RH rotors
  • Inner & outer bearings & races, dust seals, keyed washers, retaining nuts, cotter pins and dust covers.
  • 2 piston Cobra PBR calipers & pads.
  • Cobra caliper retaining pins and e-style retaining rings.
  • Wheel spacers to position wheel in wheel arch at desired position or use 17x8 TTM wheels # SB105MS7865B or SB105MS7865A without spacers.
  • Correct length wheel studs. You'll need wheel studs long enough to seat in the hub, go through the rotor and wheel spacer, then through the wheel and engage approx. 3/4" inside the lug nut. We can supply ARP studs.
  • Brake hoses, crush washers and banjo bolts.
  • Master cylinder. Early Cobra calipers used 2 x 38mm pistons, we recommend using a 15/16ths bore master cylinder. Later Cobra's & Mach 1's used 2 x 40mm pistons, we recommend using a 1" bore master cylinder.

sounds great but is there a typo? The red I highlighted below seems to contradict itself, WHich is it?

btw, the red anniversary addition cobra calipers are on sale right now

http://www.buyfordracing.com/

13" Cobra bracket kit for 1965-73 Ford Mustangs, Falcons and other Fords that used the same spindles.

This kit enables you to install SN95 Cobra ('94-'04) 13" rotors and calipers onto your stock '68-'73 Mustang DISK or '75-'80 Granada spindles. Spindle removal or alignment is not required. Track width is not affected. Please read the 'How To' below as a guide to what wheels will fit this conversion.

Click here for an in depth 'How To' on what wheels will work with this conversion

View an install article HERE

Kit Features:

• CAD designed, CNC milled 6061-T6 aluminum custom brackets bolt directly to '68-'73 Mustang DISK or '75-'80 Granada spindles*.
  • 2 x Custom made hub-centric adapter shims take up the gap between the hub snout and rotor hub hole. This makes the rotor truly hub-centric.
  • Grade 8 & 10.9 mounting hardware to mount the brackets to the spindles and the caliper anchors to the brackets.

*Granada spindles top mounting hole in stock form has a step from 9/16" to 1/2" part way through. This must be drilled all the way through to 9/16" to use this kit on Granada spindles only. Mustang disk spindles are already 9/16" all the way through and require NO modifications.

What you need: - Any of these parts can be supplied by Street or Track if you can't find anything listed below. Contact us for pricing.

• '65-'73 V8 OE Mustang DRUM hubs.
  • SN95 1994-2004 13" Cobra front LH & RH rotors
  • Inner & outer bearings & races, dust seals, keyed washers, retaining nuts, cotter pins and dust covers.
  • 2 piston Cobra PBR calipers & pads.
  • Cobra caliper retaining pins and e-style retaining rings.
  • Wheel spacers to position wheel in wheel arch at desired position or use 17x8 TTM wheels # SB105MS7865B or SB105MS7865A without spacers.
  • Correct length wheel studs. You'll need wheel studs long enough to seat in the hub, go through the rotor and wheel spacer, then through the wheel and engage approx. 3/4" inside the lug nut. We can supply ARP studs.
  • Brake hoses, crush washers and banjo bolts.
  • Master cylinder. Early Cobra calipers used 2 x 38mm pistons, we recommend using a 15/16ths bore master cylinder. Later Cobra's & Mach 1's used 2 x 40mm pistons, we recommend using a 1" bore master cylinder.

You still use the drum brake hubs when doing this swap. I did this one myself earlier this year on my 69 Torino with factory disk spindles.

Check also into Mustang Steve and/or Vintage Venom. I'm running the latter and have been EXCEEDINGLY happy with fit and finish. I haven't finished my rear end yet (welding new perches onto new 9") and still need to upgrade my master cylinder, but everything works so far.

The nice thing about Vintage Venom rear kits is that you have two options....BOTH will work on a SMALL BEARING 8 or 9" axle. The advantage you ask? Well, if you have an 8" now with plans to upgrade to a 9" in the future, you don't have to buy new stuff...just swap it over! The difference between the two kits are wheel options you are considering.

I'm stuck with their "basic" kit I think because the 9" i have is 1.8" wider than stock and would provide me with not even 3" between the rotor face and the fender...not enough clearance. With the basic kit (its cheaper too) I can run up to 6.75"BS and 4" between the rotor face and the fender. So yea, with the right wheels (read custom), I can theoretically run 10.5" rims out back. :thumbup1:

ANYWAY...check all your options. Not all of them are expensive as you might think. I have less than $700 in my entire setup and that is with NEW stuff, not ebay brand.

~Jeffrey